Scared about my MRI scan!!

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi guys,

After 2 years of suffering headaches and a numb sensation down one side I've finally been given an MRI scan.

I've been told my symptoms are migraine/anxiety and my health anxiety has suffered. I've wanted a scan, but now I'm scared.

Worried my anxiety will kick in. The doctor suggested taking diazepam before but that also scares me!

Has anybody had one, how is it?

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hiya yes I had one about a year ago due to numbness/strange feeling in left side of my body and lips I was dreading the MRI but once I got in it I was fine u can see the people who are doing the MRI as u have a mirror place in the head brace thing and if u are not comfortable they will get you out straight away I asked all these questions but the tunnel isn't as closed in as I thought or as long and dark as I thought there is always someone there you will be fine
    • Posted

That's good to know, thank u you. What were you diagnosed with if you don't mind me asking?
    • Posted

They said nurelgia but now they have found something in my bloods so having more test I've had anxiety and panic since I was 12 I'm not 34 got more test next week you will be fine I can't even travel in a car and I was fine and surprised myself how calm I was during my MRI x
  • Posted

Hi amy don't worry about the MRI, easier said than done I know. I'm claustrophobic & managed to get into the scanner, it's open at the end where your head is & if you tell the staff your very nervous they will keep talking to you and asking if your ok, you get to choose some music of your choice as well. Make sure that you go for it and it will prevent you from worrying further about what's wrong with you.

It's over before you know it and you'll feel great for going through with it

Let us know how you get on x

• Posted

It takes between 25-45 mins but the time passes really quickly because there's music playing and the staff are talking to you reassuring you

Remember that you can ask to be taken out of the scanner at anytime, keep that in mind. I'm also scared of meds but I had a diazepam 10 mg before the scan

Don't worry there's nothing to worry about x

• Posted

Having an MRI scan is a completely painless experience so you have nothing to worry about.

It is what it says on the box - just a scan, and nothing at all touches you, so you shouldn't need diazapam or any sedation.

• Posted

Thanks everybody.
  • Posted

Hi Amy,

Don't worry, I had an MRI about 2 weeks ago, it is not that bad at all. A little bit noisy but its ok. Beleive me if I can do it, then you can too. I am afraid of everything! Let me know how you do. I care.

• Posted

Thanks. The doctor gave me some diazepam to take before I go. I will see how I feel on the day x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.