Scared about pilondial cyst!

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, I am I 16 year old girl. Last year I noticed a bump but thought it was due to a skateboarding accident the previous day. Didn't say anything about it until it got really bad after many months. Went to the doc a few months ago and they are scheduling me for surgery. sad I am scared about going under, the scar after the surgery, and how long it will take to recover after. Worried about not being able to skate or be active for a while after surgery. I never want the cyst to come back again! Its only happened once so far though. What was your experience in recovery and how long did it take for it to show up again if it did?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi. I am 40 year old female. I've been dealing with cysts on my buttox, tailbone for several years. I've had the same place, cut n drained. I had surgery the beginning of 2017 and 3 weeks later, it came back. I've been dodging another surgery because, I've read some stories that people have had 12 surgeries n they still come back. You're much uber than me. You'll be fine. You get to go home the same day. Remember to keep the area very clean and keep shaved. Hair is a big factor with cysts. Don't be scared. Say a prayer.. but, also tell your parents to go to Walgreens and buy you some cyst drawing salve named PRID. It's in a small orange container. You rub it on everyday and it will burst your cysts. Doctors don't want you to use it because it actually works. This is what I've been using for over a year to keep from having surgery. I pray everything goes good. Keep me informed please.

• Posted

Recovery is different for everyone. It's a outpatient where you won't have to stay in hospital overnight. You will have to soak in a sitz bath, where you sit in warm water and Epsom salt several times a day. It's important to keep area very clean. Your doctor will pack the area he cut you with cotton like material and it'll come out as you heal. It does itch a lit, which is a sign of it. healing.

• Posted

Dear Ms Dana,

Don’t be scared of Pilonidal Sinus. Its not a disease but a condition that usually occurs due to damaged hair follicles. In your case, perhaps, the skate board accident damaged part of the skin and the hair follicles? Are you going for a sinus drain or for a complete sinus tract removal ? if its a sinus tract removal, For your age, the recovery should be pretty fast - again it would also depend  on how your surgeon wants the wound to be healed. Some Surgeons prefer to keep the wound open and get it dressed daily ( you would probably be on antibiotics to fight against any infection - atleast during the initial stages )  - this takes from 4 weeks to 12 weeks to heal ( varies from person to person ) and some others stitch it the wound out  - heals real quick ( in 3-5 days ). Yes there would be a scar but that should fade out eventually. Pray that it never comes back again - personal hygiene and keeping the area hair free can help. I had a surgery done in 2005 and it reoccured in 2017, that doesn’t mean it will reoccur for you. Be strong and positive. Hope the surgery goes well and you are all well soon. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.