Scared and Desperate

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi All,

I am so desperate for anyone who has suffered the same issues as me and can let me know I am not alone, or that I am not dying. It all started 22 weeks ago when I went to the hospital thinking I had the flu. Flu test was negative but got a script for Tamaflu and stated this regiment. Stupid me, had a script for Bactrim for an infection last year, and took it as well just in case I had step (wasn’t tested). About 3 days left in the script, I developed terrible upper left abdominal pain, sort of under the ribs. 1 week later, my poop began to float, then shortly after the stools to expel this weird yellow, yellow/brown liquid that stains the entire bottom of the toilet once the stool hits water.  Here I am 22 weeks later and I have all of the same symptoms, except now my blood sugar is going crazy (I’m not diabetic) and I’m beginning to develop neuroapthy.  Stools are mostly normal consistency, a few loose here and there.  I’ve had a stool test (negative cdiff) and a CBC which only showed slightly low red cells, neutrophils, RDW, hemacrit. I had a non contrast CT which was clear.  I just had an endoscopy yesterday that was clear.  I am terrified I have a pancreas issue, maybe cancer though my liapese is normal, my amylase was low at 25 U/L. I’m desperate for relief and answers. Thank you in advance. 

1 like, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

You need to stay off the internet.  Why in the world would you think cancer I’m sure no Dr has told you that.  

I don’t mean to be harsh but you are going to Drs, having tests and taking the necessary steps.  Anxiety can heighten or make anything you do have going on worse.  

I know it’s nice to reach out and hope someone can give you insight as to what’s happening to you but everyone of us suffers differently for different reasons.  

If you still have fears after Drs and tests then you need to go somewhere else.  Your being told nothing serious is wrong.  Thank god for those results.  

I hope you can move forward with the results you have and move forward.  

Sometimes it takes some people 2nd and 3rd opinions before they feel at peace.  

Wishing you the very best.  STAY OFF LINE !!!

• Posted

Kay,

I appreciate the tough love and I certainly understand where you are coming from.  I think cancer, because my symptoms most definitely align with the diagnosis of PanCan.  The doctor has suggested that I may very well have a pancreas issue, but my pain is not bad enough to be pancreatitis, and very much align with user experiences who have had PC.  I do need to stay off line, but I have had such terrible luck with doctors giving a crap and really aggressively trying to find the source of my issues, that I feel like I have to try and find the answers, or cure, myself.

• Posted

You won’t  find the answers or definitely the cure online.  You will however think you have so many things.  If you had PC I feel sure the Drs would have found that or any cancer.  

See another Dr, rerun all the test necessary to clear your mind.  But causing yourself the unnecessary stress and anxiety will do nothing but cause you new issues.  

Keep me posted and I wish you luck and peace 

• Posted

Definitely understood. I just got the notice from the doctor that they will schedule the MRCP. I am relieved that I will finally know if it is my pancreas or not, yet terrified of the results. A strange thing illness is. 
    • Posted

Yes it is.  I’m praying your results are not pancreatitis.  It is a dreadful disease. Keep me posted !
  • Posted

Hi Joe,

So sorry to hear of your horrendous time. I’m now 47 and have lived with chronic pancreatitis for - properly diagnosed in 2007 or first bout and Hospital stay was on Boxing Day 2005, but been having undiagnosed flare ups for even longer than that. My gp citing everything from food poisoning to stomach bug.

I’m not sure what area of the uk you live in but sounds to me you need proper diagnosis. 

Whilst blood tests do give indications to diagnose acute pancreatitis this is not always the case. You can still be having an horrendous flare up where your in hospital for days while they try and stabilise you and your blood test giving no indication whatsoever!

The best way is through ultrasound sound - although now more and more consultants are using ct scans. Reason being ultra sound scans means pressing hard in the area of pain making it worse. So to save patients pain they use ct scans.

This of course will show up and significant problems such as pancreatic cancer.... I’ve leant not to worry over something that will probably turn out to be nothing you had imagined 

However, I finally got a better diagnosis once I had an MRI.....

Where I live I can go to my GP and ask for an immediate referral to the Surgical Assesment Unit. This bypassing.  A&E and saving you hours and hours of waiting to be seen only to be referred to SAU anyway!

Once there they will do x rays, scans, probably nil by mouth - although some consultants don’t believe in letting patients starve! Lol I’ve been there when the senior consultant told her team that if a patient is hungry let them eat!!

I’ve got a lot of years of experience with pancreatitis and have been in the hospital bed more times than my own!!

So if you want any more advice let me know and I can talk you through it.....

But stop worrying and thinking the worst..... it’s highly unlikely you have pancreatic cancer but if you want to make sure then get that letter off your gp so you have access to the consultants who WILL be able to diagnose your problem.

Feel free to give me a shout if you need any advice., but my first piece of advice - I know your only 22 but you need to cut the alcohol out completely..... the odd cheeky half a lager is fine but every night or binge drinking at the weekend only are both things you will have to learn it live without.... I was early 30’s when I started with pancreatitis and it IS a life threatening illness. That’s the only reason why you can get the letter off your gp to go to the local Hospital!!

But please feel free to message me and I’ll do my best to help you out 

All that aside I sincerely hope you start to feel better very soon  

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.