Scared and worried

Posted , 5 users are following.

Having constant pulling pain in my left knee. Have a torn meniscus and go back Wednesday to confirm surgery with O.S.

1 like, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Paula.

I also have a torn meniscus but i don't see my consultant until the end of July.I am waiting for physio but there is a long waiting list until anout July.My consultant did mention about an arthroscopy and told me that you can walk straight away and it takes a couple of weeks to get over it.

I have been suffering for a long time and i am even in pain as soon as i get up even though i have rested all night.I have read a lot on the surgery and some people have still got pain after several months.I find the pain worse as the day goes on and going up stairs is a nightmare.What information has your consultant given you? I have even asked twice for a cortisone injection but they won't do it.Some people say this won't make any difference at all.Again some people say that a torn meniscus will heal without surgery while others say they won't.I am totally confused.

Take care

Luv

Teresa

xxx

• Posted

Teresa, sorry to hear about your knee problems. I too have had torn meniscus myself many times. That's what I have now, but surgeon said that he thinks that the torn meniscus is a result of the knee being bone on bone. Therefore, the only thing to do is alLTKR. I go see him on Wednesday to discuss surgery date. Just tired of being in pain all day. I've already missed 2 months of work due to this. Strange thing is that this time I never fell, or anything.
    • Posted

I have never fallen but i am wondering if mine has been caused by a lot of pressure on the foot lever of a wheelchair as i have had to use one for my Mum for about 3 years.
  • Posted

Hi I tore my meniscus 14 months ago, I had to wait 3 months for a MRI & about 2 months to see a physio. Apparently it depends were the tear is as not all of the meniscus has a blood supply. Mine won't heal as there is no blood supply, but don't need surgery. It's been a long process, and frustrating - I did mine playing netball & have just started getting back into it, and have some how "flared" it up again - must of landed funny :-(. So is sore again.But must plod on
    • Posted

Also my consultant said a lot of people have tears and Don't now
    • Posted

I've had 6 previous surgeries on my left knee, and 2 on my right knee. The first O.S. that I saw, refused to do anything for me but recommend therapy because I'm only 47 years old. I started therapy, it was my therapist who recommended that I see another O.S. The new surgeon said that the only thing that could have done is LTKR. I'm scared and worried because I've read all the stories about the pain, infections, and etc.
  • Posted

Done with a scope and nothing more than a Tera and Following Dr's orders post op, you can look at about 6 weeks to getting back your life with no pain and full use of The leg. You will hurt some as there is a certain am out of bruising and bleeding that goes with the surgery. More than likely you will have physical therapy and you will have to take it easy for the 1st few weeks as you'll have a few stictches that require tending to. Just go into it knowing you will be much the better for it. My sister in law, age 75, had hers done last fall and was back traveling, working in her garden, etc within just a few weeks.
    • Posted

Thanks, but I should have been more clear at the beginning. This is not my 1st go around with knee problems. I've had 6 surgeries on the left knee and 2 on the right knee. I'm scared because my knee is now bone on bone, along with a torn meniscus. Surgeon had me finish my 4 weeks of therapy. I go back Wednesday to discuss surgery date.
    • Posted

Now it's sounding more serious. The bone on bone sounds like the warning bells are being wounded for the inevitable tkr. I too am a frequent flyer in surgery......11 on the left knee/leg plus 30 rounds of raditaion. A rare tumor ate my knee up pretty good. The menicus repair may be the most minor of your problems but you won't know till they really look at your entire situation under scope. Hope all is positive for you soon
  • Posted

Hang in there!!  Use the internet to your advantage is researching the possible surgery and rehabilitation.  Hopefully it will give you the information you need to prepare you for questions to ask when you see the doc again and a little peace of mind.
  • Posted

Scared and worried is normal...I haven't had a torn meniscus but my Mother did, in her 80's. Same day surgery and home. She could walk if careful. Mostly was told to keep the leg elevated and iced. Pain meds if needed but she took Tylenol. Compared to a TKR, (which I had) I'd say it was a walk in the park. Good luck and take it easy and don't worry. Easier said than done.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.