Scared: Answered sought on pancreatitis

Posted , 10 users are following.

Hello, Two weeks ago I had an extreme attack of pancreatitis. I am  a 53 tear old make 6ft. 217 prior to attack 200lbs now (without trying) . Immeidately brought to the hospital. Lipase was 3813 (10 times normal and white blood cells 20K) both returned to normal after 4 days of no food  then liquid then full liquid diet. Nw home on non fat diet. It is now 15 days since the attack. I still have intermitent pain, dont want to eat as much as I used to and seem to fatigue easily. OF course I am much better then two weeks ago. Even got out to walk a half mile today ( wasnt easy)   Does anyone know how long the aftereffects of acute pancreatitis can ast and at what point you are considered chronic? I have lost 17 pounds in 15 days (normal?) THey do not beleive I had a gall stone as they said lver enzymes would also be levated if I did and I rarely use alcohol. I have had high triglycerides for years and my most recent reading a week before the attack was higher than usual at 217. Threefore the cause is either idiopathic or hyperlipiemia. I am scared because they say weight loss os associatd with pancreatic cancer. I did not prestn with jaundice and doctor says symptoms for cancer verus pancreatitis are doffernt in onset. Again werght loss bothers and earliest appointmetn I can get with a doc specializing in pancretitis is January 5. . Has anyone with acute pancreatitis suffered more than 2 weeks and with weight loss or am I now theoretically crossng the line onto what is defined as "Chronic" and have to look forward to a life of misery. ANy advice is apprecaited. GOd bless and best of health to all. 

0 likes, 23 replies

23 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Weight loss is scary / but if you don't eat you will lose a lot . Water is always first to go about 10 pounds then 7 more in two weeks - not as scary. It is hard to eat anything when you know a attack is coming.so we don't eat. Don't freak yourself out- make sure you have the correct diagnosis- then you can plan from there. From

Someone who has been there

• Posted

Hi, i can relate to everything you described. I was 40 lbs underweight and severely malnourished, I came to find out BC my pancreas wasn't absorbing anything- fat, vitamins, calories, etc. After years of suffering chronic pain a gastroenterologist in the ER discovered the cause. I have a congenital defect called pancreas divisum. The 2 pancreatic ducts never fused to form one larger one in utero). Therefore my pancreatic duct and bile duct are too narrow and over the years (just wear and tear) they became completely blocked. I got stents put in via ERCP. Been having that outpatient procedure every 3 months for the past 2 years. It saved my life! Within about 6 months I gained back all the weight. (I looked anorexic before and it was very distressing because I could NOT gain weight) also, most importantly, the pain was GONE!!!! It still is. I was so debilitated from the pain I cannot tell you how grateful I am that I found a gastroenterologist who took the time to find out what was wrong and gave me some relief!!!!: I have been instructed to keep a low fat diet and to NEVER drink alcohol. I have been pain free and 'healthy' for a good year and a half now- like a totally different person. The stents aren't a permanent fix (i have to have surgery, but i cannot tell you how much better life has been since they addressed my problem. I wish you the best

• Posted

I am still recovering after 5 months. Still losing weight.
    • Posted

I'm with you. In my fourth month after a whipple/full removal of pancreas, I am loosing lots of weight. I am also dehydrated and anemic. It's all very frustrating.

• Posted

I was rushed to hospital in January with Pancreatitis although at the time we didn't know that it was this at the time, I was in hospital for 23 days in total 13 of those was in high dependancy. I am still recovering from it 6 months later. I have lost over 30lbs over the 6 months. But I gad the pancreatitis so bad I almost died in January..

You will get well again your body needs time to heal

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.