SCARED!!! Bicuspid Aortic Valve w/ panic attacks and arrhythmias

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hello all! 

I've been having health related anxiety and panic attacks for the last few months and am hoping to find some re-assurance/help in this forum. Here is my quick background/description:

Josh

27(male): Bicuspid Aortic Valve(moderate regurgitation) Sinus Arrhythmia (Possibly Superventricular Tachycardia but never caught during testing), Anxiety/panic attacks

I joined this community after months of anxiety and panic attacks controlling my life! It happened at a bad time(just moved to LA to work for ICM Partners).

Since I was a child I have had "episodes" where my heartbeat gets triggered and shoots up--beating consistantly by much faster. Somewhere around 120/140 bpm. Cardiologists never seemed too worried about them and It hasn't ever really been a hinderance or bothered me until this recent fight with anxiety and panic attacks somehow made me much more aware/scared of them. 

One of my first panic attacks came after I did WAY too much googling and convinced myself I had AFIB. My cardiologist told me that after getting an echo, ekg, stress test and 24-hr monitor that we would be able to tell if I had AFIB or something else dangerous...and that's EVEN WITHOUT me not having one of my "episodes" during testing. She said im likely having "sinus arrythmias" Does this sound logical? I know many in this forum have expressed similar frustrations. 

I just have occasionally seen people who die of arrhythmias and I'm probably being irrational but was surprised my dr. didn't want to do additional testing to get an official classification. 

I'll describe the episodes below:

+ They happen in-frequently--sometimes multiple in a week, sometimes i go a couple weeks without any.

+ They last seconds or a couple mins mostly, but in the past have had episidodes that lasted 5 to 10 mins. 

+ They occur typically at night in bed, laying down, from sudden/awkward change of posture, or drinking coffee/alcohol, from stress/anxiety.

+ I very rarely get them while being active during the day/moving around. 

Since I have a condition called Bicuspid Aortic Valve regurgitation, my cardio has put me on blood pressure meds to keep me in the 120s. They put me on a beta blockers and now I see that my heart rate is in the 40s/50s. I am usually in the 50s/60s anyway but now I'm affraid itll drop to low and cause cardiac arrest or something worse. 

It's hard for me to tell, but recently i feel like i notice my heart "skipping a beat"...it could just be a palpation(which ive had forever) or could it be somehing because my heart rate is being dropped too low?

How do I distinguish between bengin palpations and PVC or PACs? What do they feel like and are either more dangerous than the other?

Also, I'm still terrified that my elevated heart episodes is actually Atrial Fibrilation that hasn't been caught in testing. Should I trusst my doctors advice? WHat does Afib feel like? How does it feel different from tachycardia or sinus arrythmias?

I'm sure if these things were doing damage to my heart, or could possibly do damage in the future, my drs would be more actively trying to name these..Correct? I've had an ekg, stress test, holter monitor, echo-cardiogram and ct scan. If I was close to danger they could tell, right?

Any help here would be AMAZING, my anxiety and panic attacks are taking over sad

Best,

Josh

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Josh, I can't really tell you more than the doctors can, only that there's a lot of this stuff the heart does, that feels terrible to us having it, but people have it for decades with no real further complications.  I have no idea what "bicuspid aortic valve" means, but apparently the doctors aren't too excited by whatever it means.

?You can give yourself a panic attack just by worrying obsessively about this stuff - or by irritation at the doctors!  But if the panic becomes a problem of its own, then that's another support group, I guess.

?On the slow heart rhythm you might tell the doctor.  I've used the beta blockers - and about a quarter of what is usually the lowest dose - to treat fast heartbeat but only when it happens.  It takes partial effect within a just a couple of minutes.  And that should mostly avoid the slow problem.  You're not *supposed* to use the beta blockers that way, but so it goes.  Or just reduce the dose you take regularly, and take it back up to normal only when it happens.  I did have approval from my doctor to use the low dose, which worked fine for me.  And it should reduce the panic attacks, too.  If it doesn't ... more doctor time, I guess.

?

• Posted

Dear Josh, Let me reassure you some! Your heart must be strong for all those tests to come back good. Afib is a high, irratic beat most of the time. Feels very irregular at your pulse  and skippy and some people feel chest pain, short of breath, etc, I know I had an episode! Back in June last year. I know becuase I have a download machine for my pacemaker. ( I am happy to have both of these!) I would suggest you get a blood pressure cuff. If your blood pressure is really low you could have afib. But , remember, the best thing you can do is NOT WORRY ! Afib is not deadly. Ask your doctor to give you a monitor for a month or so to see if you can catch an episode!

I am so sorry you are having the panic attacks. I have had them for years. I am doing much better with a therapist and medicine. God bless and dont hesitate to message again if we can help. You are gonna be fine. Just try to breathe, do meditate and pray if you believe( even if you dont!!) Hugs, Debbie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.