Scared - can acid reflux cause constant nausea?

Posted , 4 users are following.

I have suffered with acid reflux on and off for years and following a gastroscopy was put on Omeprazole, which I took for a few years every single day. My main symptom originally was constant nausea with sore throat and hoarse voice. I was told there were signs of mild oesophagitis and also h-pylori, which I had the treatment for.

Then I read some very scary things about PPI's and so for some time stopped taking them altogether, but then reluctantly went back on 1- 2 per week, as nothing else worked as well for me. I thought they were an absolute miracle tablet - I could eat or drink anything and not have any acid reflux. At that time PPI's were being dished out like sweets, now I think they are more cautious about long term use.

Fast forward; a couple of weeks ago I started feeling really sick all of the time with bad stomach ache and burping, so took Omeprazole every day, but for some reason it didn't help at all, which has never happened before. Managed to see doctor and she said to double the Omeprazole dose and is sending me for blood test.

No way was I going to take take double Omeprazole when it was not working for me anyway, so for past five days the only thing I have had is Gaviscon. For the first couple of days I actually felt a bit better, but now I feel just as sick.

Can acid reflux cause constant nausea?

I am scared; there is just too much information out there:(

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Edited

You will need to work on your diet that cause the reflux.

Did you have endoscopy or barium shallow?

That will tell if you suffer LES, Hernia etc.

You just need GI to workout the core cause of reflux.

• Edited

Had a gastroscopy in late 2015 (first had one in 2009) - is that the same thing as an endoscopy?

Have been suffering with this for about 11 years and I am sure it was caused by extreme stress because my OH had three very serious health issues in quick succession.

As I said, I hate taking PPI's but at least they always worked in the past but there is no way I am going to keep taking them if they are now ineffective.

• Edited

You can get vitamin deficiencies on PPIs as they stop you absorbing nutrients so well, I was getting sick, dizzy, nauseas and was having a lot of tummy problems. I later found out I was vitamin D and B12 deficient. Omeprazole stopped working for me too. Ask for esomeprazole, it is what works best for most patients who have been on other ppis that stopped working so well. I take vitamin D and vitamin b12 sprays (you are supposed to absorb the vitamins better through the spray than the tablets) and I feel so much better now.

• Posted

That is the main reason I stopped taking them for quite some time.

I took sublingual methylcobalamin b12 for ages and then stopped because it showed as being too high on a blood test.

Have now started on the B12 again a couple of times per week and also take 10mcg vitamin D daily (done so for a few years), but of course that is probably not being properly absorbed as it is a tablet.

Today I didn't feel too bad until I ate a slice of buttered toast for late lunch. Almost immediately I started getting bad acid reflux and the sour taste; really regretted having it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.