scared, confused and frustrated

Posted , 6 users are following.

Posted Today, 01:29 PM 

Advertisement 

I need some feedback. 

I have had ibs and gerd for years. 

My issue started when I ate fast food fried fish a couple months ago. 

Within an hour, I got the worst bloating and gas I've ever had. 

Because nothing would relieve the pressure, I ended up making myself vomit. 

I went to the walkin clinic the next morning and the dr thought it might be my ibs flaring. 

Within days I was better. 

On New Years Eve, I was at my friend's house for dinner. 

I really didn't eat anything I thought would upset my stomach. 

I was really thirsty and drank three large ice cold cups of orange and grape soda. 

Same thing happened. 

I got really bloated and uncomfortable. 

I tried lots of different things at home, nothing helped relieve the pressure. 

So, I made myself vomit to feel better. 

The next morning I went to the urgent care and they took an X-ray. 

They said I was full of stool, but didn't know if it was my ibs or something else. 

I ended up going to my fam dr who pressed on my abdomen and said since it was painful on my right side too, he wanted me to have an ultrasound. 

It showed one immobile gallstone that I've had for years, but my gallbladder was not swollen or anything. 

I took laxatives and started to feel better. 

My dr wanted me to see a surgeon since my billirubin test was elevated. 

The surgeons office had scheduled surgery before I even saw him because my back had been hurting for weeks before. 

At my appointment, the surgeon began telling me reasons I should have my gallbladder out. 

I asked him if my attacks could have been ibs, but he couldn't tell me. 

He also said if I had my gallbladder out, it might not be what's wrong and I could still have these flare ups. 

He also looked at my back and said the pain is muscular, not my gallbladder. 

I never had the severe gallbladder pain in my right abdomen or upper shoulder area. 

So, he finally gave me the choice to watch my diet and see what happens. 

If I get another flare, he wants to remove it. 

But, how do I know it's not really ibs? 

I also don't know what to take for the severe gas or bloating if it happens again. 

Sorry this is so long, but I'm frustrated, confused and scared. 

Opinion please?

Posted on 01/31/16, 01:54 pm

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I had mine taken out 3 months ago almost and it was the best decision ever ..my best friend only had one stone I had many many stones ..she was sicker than me she also tried to keep hers thinking it was ibs she has that .. well after I had mime out she went 2 months after me ..she was so do sick .. and miserable ... she did better with surgery than I did .. I didn't take pain meds so I made it hard on myself .. she has felt 1 million times better SO HAVE I. It's like they took 10 YRS off my life ..rewinding Me 10 YRS. . I thought many small things were just due to being 30+ . Lol I'm 32 ... wrong it was my galbladder. . I had no clue I tried to save mine also ..lol 4 months of HELL ..that I SHLD not have put myself through .. I am having mild pain on my right and left under my ribs they say this is common especially since I eat what ever the hell I want to ..lol .. cokes coffee salt n vinegar chips r My best friend. .oh and Reese cups by the bag full .. I'm tall and slim I did the whole healthy diet for 7 months trying to save my galbladder and waiting on my surgery date ... so I strongly assume it's my diet leading to my rib pain in my pancreas and liver ..I'm assuming my body is not ready for these foods I keep eating .. ugh I know I need to go back to the water chicken and fish ONLY healthy sh*t ... I'd get the thing out once ur galbladder makes 1 stone it won't stop it won't get better ur defective ..just like all of us .. trust me we all tried keeping our only to prolong our misery

• Posted

Omeprazole helps.

The thing is if you have gallstone it is better to have it removed then that is one less thing to worry about.

It certainly won't help having a gallstone there and if it is not that that is causing the problem now it can rear it's ugly head at any moment.

Take care and keep in touch

Sarah

• Posted

I took omeprazole for years for gerd. I had pain on and off regardless then I had an endoscopy which showed no evidence of gerd or inflammation anywhere. I then had a scan which showed multiple gall stones. If you have gallstones I think the omeprazole would aggravate it. I am having my gall bladder out next month. At the moment I am following a diet of no fried foods, gluten or dairy. No chocolate or coffee or tea. It is difficult and if I don't follow it I get pain.. Apple cider vinegar with olive oil, beetroot in any form seems to help. Believe it or not a glass or two of white wine also seems to help. You should never drink ice cold fizz and orange juice with a meal.Citrus is also bad except for lemon but not too much. Are you sure you have gerd.? Have you had an endoscopy? 
  • Posted

Hello, my understanding is that the jury is out on whether there is actually such a thing as ibs.  Some folk say it is an illness in it's own right.  Others believe that the issues presented are actually as a result of something not being right somewhere.  I don't like being told I have ibs.  I think it is a cop out for not having an answer for things.  The reasoning behind is that I was told for over 20 years that I had ibs and that was causing my severe constipation and periods of diarrhea and vomiting along with dreadful bloating etc.  So, when it was eventually discovered I had gallstones after a particularly bad episode and  having to go to hospital, when I did see the Consultant he was able to say that I actually was very poorly with gallstones and an infected gallbladder and that I'd been suffering with this for the 20 years. 

In your case, it sounds like you need some more investigation and tests to actually see what your issue/s are.

Good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.