Scared for gallbladder surgery. I'm only 19!

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hello.

In October I discovered I have gallstones after a trip to the ER. They are about 4mm and not too big. I'm scheduled to have them removed on the 19th this month and I'm terrified. I have never had surgery before and I'm scared to be put under and die. I keep crying and can't stop thinkig about the what ifs. I'm 19 with a six month old. I cannot afford to have something go wrong. It's to the point I want to cancel my surgery.

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi Dominique,

I'm 20 and getting this surgery too so I know how scared you are, hell I even started a discussion on this form a few days ago.

Before the doctors even touch you, you will get a blood test and an overall preop assessment to make sure you are healthy enough for surgery and if they find something, they will give you something to fix whatevers going on before touching you.

This surgery is not so big anymore (I know it's no reassurance seeing as I was crying too over this). It's almost nearly an out-patient surgery.

Just keep thinking about seeing your baby after surgery. You usually go home same day as op so you'll be holding your baby in your arms that evening.

If it's any help the odds were last time I checked 1 in over 200,000 for complications and even at that, elderly people the risk is like 000.5-1%.

The odds in a young girl like yourself are even nill. Surgery is scary, I know and I know what hesitations are like for g.a. but these people are fully trained to deal with everything and anything that can go wrong.

Encase you need to hear it: EVERYTHING WILL BE OKAY.

Come back on here after your op and tell us how you got on. I especially want to know what to face so best of luck.

• Posted

I just read a few of your post. I have anxiety and panic disorder. I know realistically I won't die. I know I'll be fine. But anxiety is taking over. My preop is tomorrow. I will let everyone know. I'm also from Canada so I'm not sure if that makes a difference. Thanks for replying back smile

• Posted

I am Canadian as well. I had this surgery and also suffer with anxiety. I told my doctors, they sedated me before putting me under. Everyone was so nice to me!
  • Posted

Hi Dominique,

?Yes, you are young to have gallbladder issues, but I have heard of other young people in the same position, so don't worry that you are the only one.

?It is one of the most performed surgeries, doctors are very used to doing them quickly and usually with minimal scarring, if laparascopic.  Being young can be a positive as your body should cope and heal well.

I am very much older and facing the same operation on the 29th. Believe me, we all  have these same fears and doubts, it is only natural. Maybe it would help to speak to your doctor about how you feel? The doctor could also explain whether you would be at risk of further attacks or any complications if you were put off the procedure.

?On the day, they can usually offer some medicine to relax you before the procedure and can talk you through everything to reassure you.

I wish you well and hope for both us to stay strong and see our treatment though with good results. Take care, Cynthia

• Posted

Hi Cynthia just read you've actually got a date for surgery. If that's right good luck. You'll be fine. 8 days since mine and just have to remind myself I've got stitches inside as i feel fine. I'm about same age as you. Let me know how you get on. Jill

• Posted

Dominique, 

I'm sorry you're going through this, especially at your age.  I think that your doctors are planning on removing your gallbladder, not your gallstones. Many women develop problems with their gallbladders during pregnancy.

Please understand that postponing surgery will only mean that you are carrying a diseased organ in your body--it's really not something that you can forget about.  It won't get any better.  At least now you have a babe in arms; think what might happen if you suddenly need surgery when your child is older, a todler, for instance, and much more active.

Doctors don't usually suggest surgery if it can be avoided.  Please don't listen solely to your fears; everyone needs to learn to experience fear, and make good decisions in spite of it.

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you get on!  

• Posted

Have the surgery sweetie, I know you are afraid but with todays anaesthesia and skilled doctors you will not die. The stones are far worse to keep, trust me. It will be over before you know it, small incision and very little pain.

• Posted

Hi how much pain are you in the reason I'm asking is that in august I ended up in hospital with inflamed gallbladder so the consultant booked me in for removal my appointment was Friday just gone I didn't go through with it I spoke to my doctor and because I have not been in pain since to leave it to see if it happens again then I will think about it again but til then I'm happy with my decision the only thing I'm staying on low fat and healthy foods but the decision is up to you apparently thousands of peoplehave gallstones that's what I was told by the consultant I saw

• Posted

Hi Michelle,

When I went into my consultation and was told I would need to get my gallbladder out I told the doctor no firt because I wanted a different treatment but he said there wasn't any.

He said eventually one of the stones will get stuck and will lead to much dangerous issues. He said usually gallstones go undetected but once you go see a doctor because of discomfort then they are usually only cause you more pain.

I'm not trying to tell you your decision was wrong but I don't want you to suffer through a gallbladder attack or get something worse like a stone stuck.

• Posted

I'm 30 and had the surgery a few months ago. I'm aware that's older than you (not by much! smile ) but it's really not a big deal. I was terrified as it was my first surgery and it was a piece of cake honestly. You may not be able to hold your child often after the surgery as they say take it easy - nothing over 10 lbs for a week. But I've also heard of people with young infants who obviously couldn't help it as they had no one to help them. They use internal stitches nowadays so I don't think there is any way you can hurt those (I'm definitely not a doctor though!). You may just be a little sore for longer if you throw caution to the wind. I was up and moving like a normal person 3 days after the surgery. Day 2 was the worst day for soreness and I never took any of the pain meds they prescribed me, only Advil.

The one thing that made me feel better about the surgery is that over 700,000 people have this surgery every year and there are only a handful of complications. They typically happen in people who have an infection or are elderly/not in good health. Being 20 yrs old and being healthy enough to give birth, I'm sure you'll be perfectly fine! DO NOT cancel your surgery! I'm assuming you were having some sort of symptoms in order for them to want to take it out - the best thing you can do for you and your child is get better and get it done sooner than later!

• Posted

After four trips to the emergency room, they did an ultrasound the last time I was there and they found polyps. My primary thinks it's gallstones and not polyps. I saw a Gi doctor that is sending me for a hida scan this coming Tuesday. I am terrified of this scan and honestly just rather have surgery than go through a possibly painful scan! I've been having a constant burning dull ache on my right side of my ribs into my back and upper back near my shoulder blade. It's almost constant everyday and it's depressing. I am scaring myself from readin horror stories online of people dying and the more I have these pains the more I am scaring myself! Someone please assure me that I will be okay! I am terrified of surgery and I have two kids and a husband. It's like I know everything will be okay but my anxiety is getting the best of me. I wish we could all just feel better and not have to fear and worry ourselves!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.