Scared for hysterectomy in 2 days

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi so im 30 and i am having a vaginal hysterectomy on thursday 14th jan 2017 and im really nervous.I honestly dont know why but im really consodering cancelling the operation.there leaving both my ovaries but removing everything else i think im worried as to i dont know what to expect the following days/weeks afterwards

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Sorry you're going through this.  I can understand that you are nervous.  But I'm sure that you and your doctor didn't decide this surgery was necessary without good reason.  You haven't given us any information about why...

Many people are confused and worried at this time, but come through surgery well.  Each person recovers a bit differently.  There are other threads on this site that discuss the operation.  And I'm sure that someone at your doctor's office could also assist you.  You may have been given some information by them already.  

Please try to take it easy, if you can. When I had my surgery, I tried to focus on the condition it was correcting and on the fact that after surgery, I would be healthier.  

Best of luck to you, and let me know how you do!  

• Posted

Hi Siobhan

I've just replied to you under another discusssion and I hope my experience goes some way to reassure you.  Please don't cancel as whatever the reason for the op, it's not going to go away.  I had a prolapse and had a hysterectomy and bladder repair and I can only say that it was the easiest procedure and recovery.  Afterwards I wondered what on earth had been afraid of.  I'm now fit and healthy and run regularly and have never felt so well. My prolapse was really uncomfortable but not serious and was told I could leave it if I wanted to but I'm so glad I had it sorted out.  I'm sure you will feel glad that you had it done if it fixes problems that you obviously have.

Best wishes

Shani

• Posted

Don't cancel! I had this done last year and like you I was so worried! Let me tell you, it's gonna be fine. My surgeon was wonderful. I told the anaestheologist I was nervous and he put a sedative in my IV, talked to me before he put me out. The surgery only took 15 minutes, I was in the recovery room before I knew it. They gave me morphine for pain while I was there for one night. The only thing that was a bit hard was going pee, it didn't hurt but it felt like I forgot how to do it. It took a long time.

When I went home I had to rest and clean the house, which is very hard for me!

If you have any questions, ask me. I'd be glad to help.

Don't cancel it. I never regreted it and it gave me my life back. Freedom of not constantly bleeding through and the pain.

• Posted

Hi so sorry i never told you the reason for surgery last year i bled none stop so they decided to do sterilisation and tcre to see if that would control the bleeding and it was still the same we tried everything and the consultant gynecologist said this is the last resort solve my problems so found my self having to have this op there leaving my ovaries but removing everything else im aure ill be fine and i most certainly will keep you all informed
    • Posted

Please don't apologize, Siobhan! Everyone who replied to you is thinking about you!  

As Shani,Marketa and Paula said in their posts, we all went through it, and you'll be fine!  You're in my prayers, too! xx  

• Posted

Hi Siobhan,

I had the non- stop bleeding too.... it was hell!

I have my ovaries still and they took the uterus out through the vagina. There were no scars anywhere. You are going to be just fine. I will be thinking of you.

• Posted

Hi , please dont be scared , i know how you are feeling i turned to this site back in November , when i had a total hysterectomy like you i was so scared .

but it was not that bad they look after you  I  never felt to bad when i woke up the most pain was from the trapped gas, but once the peppment oil they gave me worked i was much better dont be  scared to ask for pain relif if you need it, im 6 weeks post op now and im doing very well doing housework now and dont get any pain , good luck let me know how you get on  love to you xxx Paula

• Posted

Hi. I had this op last week as well as fairly extensive repairs. I was also very nervous - only natural. I went for spinal anaesthetic and sedation and was pretty much out of it. They guide you through every step and understand your fears. For me the first night in hospital was uncomfortable and not very restful with the constant monitoring. It was quite painful the next day and I suffered with sickness. The lady next to me seemed to do a lot better so we are all different! Anyway after one more night in hospital I came home and recovered pretty quickly. I am uncomfortable rather than in pain, moving about quite a bit etc. You will be fine and please ask anything specific if you want to. 
  • Posted

I had vaginal 6 months ago and like you I was very nervous and worried myself sick but all went well and I'm sure it will for you too as long as you follow the advice of doing nothing for 6 weeks no lifting, cleaning etc. There will be some pain at first but soon eases off hosp will give you pain relief. Good luck xx

• Posted

Its going be very hard for me do no cleaning im constantly doing it i cant help my self lol but my husband took 2 weeks off to make sure the house is kept on top form so as to i dont have put my self under alot of strain after he gone back work ive been told i can have a light breakfast at 6am followed by a carb clear drink at 9 then have be admitted at 11 i havent got a time go to theatre yet sure i will find out tommorrow x thanks ladies your positivity is helping alot x
    • Posted

It's very frustrating having others do the cleaning etc I know but needs must you don't want to end up back in hospital. Let your husband do the heavy cleaning and especially clothes washing wet clothes can be very heavy. Your body let's you know when you have done too much I remember after a couple of weeks I felt a lot better and started doing a bit more and I was totally wiped out for couple of days. Rest and have a short walk everyday and look after yourself make the most of getting pampered, It doesn't last long lol. Will be thinking of you xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.