Scared for my son

Posted , 2 users are following.

My son has had two episodes where he can not breathe.he gasps for air and he says that during these episodes he feels that there something in his throat. Could this be acid reflux? Or maybe an allergic reaction? If it is an allergic reaction how come it goes away without meds?(epipen/inhaler)

2 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

I would say asthma or some other respiratory disoreder. Also it could be from anxiety...
    • Posted

I thought about anxiety but from what though. He seems to be oretty level headed and does not get nervous easliy. Although anxiety is in the family on my hubbys side. 
  • Posted

If an inhale stops it then it sounds like asthma possibly made worse by acid. My silent reflux causes breathing issues but inhalers make no difference. If there is anyone else like this please look up vocal cord dysfunction as you could have this but there are exercises you can do to help
    • Posted

It is funny you mention vocal cord dysfunction. He cant really talk when this is happening because he is struggling hard to beath and catch his breath. He can only say like a couple words thats it. After it is over he still has a hard time talking. Almost like he has to get his voice back. Well I give him his inhaler when he has his attacks and after a few minutes it calms sdown and stops. I dont know if its the inhaler that helps him stop or it just stops on its own.  
  • Posted

The main difference to vocal cord dysfuncton (VCD) and asthma is that with asthma the problem is breathing out and with VCD it is breathing in. Can he define which is worse?
    • Posted

He does not wheeze. He does cough sometimes. The first time this happened we took him to ER and they said his lungs sounded clear. No wheezing nothing.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.