Scared I have a brain tumour

Posted , 6 users are following.

I've been experiencing dizzy spells constantly with pressure in my head also have pain in my neck my eyes also feel strained sometimes i went to the doctors a number of times to be told I'm suffering from anxiety and left with a bag full of anxiety tablets the dizziness still stayed with me regardless of me taking the tablets went back to the doctors again I had a few tests done for balance eye site etc all was normal blood work normal have been booked in for a MRI scan because I have tinnitus in my left ear only so now panicking there is something seriously wrong with me I'm 36 years old with 4 children just want to see if anyone had experienced the same .

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Hi Carla,

This is highly unlikely to be a brain tumour. (I'm a former neu ro nu rse.) It's still good that you've been booked in for an MRI scan, though it's unlikely that anything will show up.

Your symptoms fit far better with some kind of ear condition, and also anxiety. Tension in your neck muscles is well-known for causing dizziness and pressure headaches, and can even contribute to tinnitus.

• Posted

Hi thank you so much for replying that's sounds reassuring to no I've never sufffered with headaches before the dizziness all starTed before the headaches I don't get much sleep as I suffer with insomnia so that doesnt help and that always seems to make it worse I'm just panicking as my head just doesn't feel right the off balance feeling feels likesl it's coming from my head hard to explain

• Posted

Carla don’t be scared. I know it is to begin with because you've gone from 'normal' to abnormal,in your balance. I suggest that you go to Veda, the Vestibular Disorders Assoc website. (They also,have a FB Page for quick ref). They have a wealth of info,,symptoms, causes etc etc.  The MRI will,doubtless show,up much. They usually just do them,to rule,out stuff as opposed,to the opposite.

the reason you have neck and eye stuff going on is,probably due to the fact your balance system,which includes,your eyes,,ears and nerves are all out of sync and trying to compensate. I know this as I experience it myself. I also have tinnitus btw, but mine is,on left,side. Sadly regular drs always try the anxiety route, but as I tell them, I wasn’t anxious before this happened, any anxiety is due,to what I’m experiencing.(usually shuts,them,up).

you actually need to get referrred,to a Neuro Otologist, who deal with the Vestibular system. A straight Neurologist,only deals  with the  Brain. Also don’t get fobbed off with an ENT,,as they do what those initials,stand for, Ear Nose and Throat. This condition doesn’t  involve your nose or ,your Throat and the Tinnitus is a lot more,than and 'ear'problem.  Am saying all this to save you time as I was sent through the ENT the. Neurologist route that wasted a lotta time!!

but head over to Veda and have a good read ok??

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply I've always suffered with ear problems ever since I was young ear infections etc the tinnitus I have in my left year have done for over 8 years ....the doctor looked in my ear and said all looked fine can they really tell by checking like that with a torch ...this dizziness is really getting Me down its deliberating and ever harder when you have children to look after it''s really taking over my life and getting me down its the cause of my anxiety i was fine before all thi's ...now I'm thinking all sort's are wrong with me sad

• Posted

Drs can only teill if your eardrums ok or inflammation outside etc with a torch. He cant see the Vestibular system from outside!!   I had Tinnitus a good few years before this happened so don’t think it is the cause. However when I am extra dizzy it seems to be higher. You don’t have 'all sorts' wrong with you. I'd put money on it!  this can come on overnight as did mine with a virus. I went to bed. Normall, woke up barely able to walk to the bathroom. If I were you I’d try and not let it get to you to much as the anxiety will make it worse. Easy to say I know!  Veda has all kinds of suggestions on their site so use that info meantime ok

• Posted

You might be having problems with your SCM muscle which is in your neck. Do a search for SCM muscle issues and trigger points and see if that sounds like you.
  • Posted

Thank you so much with your replies I've been worrying myself sick over it doctor checked my ears and said they looked fine but I've always had problems with my ear's always seem to leak etc I also have tinnitus in my left ear have done for over 8 years I hate not feeling myself I took my daughter to a play group session today had to leave early as felt so off balanced it's such a horrible feeling it's really taken over my life this feeling has caused my anxiety level's to go through the roof I'm not normally a worrier but everyday I wake up wishing this feeling would just go it's always with me 24 /7 sad

• Posted

do you have any indigestion issues like IBS/Gastritis/gallbladder or gallbladder removed?  i have gallstones and gastritis , from past 5 years i suffer with dizziness and for last 3 months i got tinnitus in both my ears. I had severe dizziness when i run in to digestion issues.It reduced when my digestion is good.
    • Posted

I have read the vagus nerve can have some incinvolvment with digestion issue. Look it up when you have a chance.
    • Posted

So weird you mentioned digestive problems I keep getting heartburn and sometime's it feels like I've got food stuck in my throat and takes ages to go down the dizziness is always worse when I have eaten .

• Posted

Yes my Bowen therapist worked on my Vagus nerve last time for gut problem.  And recommended afterwards to drink plenty of water.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.