Scared I have an intestinal blockage???

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hey so I'm 14 and from what I know I am perfectly healthy, I haven't had any operations either and over the past few days I've has this stomach pain which felt like trapped wind, which didn't pass. this was on Sunday night. Yesterday, this perservered and although I was able to get gas out, I had some loose stools but it was not in a large quantity, I felt sick in thr morning but it was stopped by a indigestion tablet. It hurts and comes in cramping pangs. I had no appetite yesterday although today I ate some toast. Also, I passed a lot more loose stools today and although I felt better, the cramps still really hurt. I do not wake up in the night with pain pr diathhorea though. I should add that thr pain is abovr the bellybutton but sometimes formulating around it. Possible intestinal blockagr or am I letting my health anxiety take over?

1 like, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

I think this is anxiety hun, an intestinal blockage would be more likely if you were passing no stools, couln't pass wind, and were unable to eat without throwing up.

In all honesty it sounds like trapped wind, which I always felt was stupid because it isn't like it literally can't get out and always seems to cause far more pain than seems reasonable. But there we go! Try getting on all fours, sticking your bottom in the air, and rubbing your belly a bit. Sounds odd, looks ridiculous, but does seem to help. Also if you can get some peppermint oil capsules from your pharmacist they might be able to help.

All the while you are feeling a bit sicky and generally not 100% try to eat plain, soothing foods like chicken, rice, potatoes etc. Avoid anything spicry or really rich. Getting some fibre in you will help with the loos stools.

Also, from the words you are using it sounds like you might have been googling this? If you have... stop! Googling your symptoms is never a good idea for anyone, but if you have anxiety, particularly anxiety around your health, it is a down right awful idea and can make you worse! So please stay away from Dr Google.

Most likely it is simply trapped wind that's the problem. I know it is painful and annoying, but it isn't anything to worry about.

Whatever it is, it doesn't sound like anything to worry about at all. If you are still having loose stools in a few days then speak to your GP they may want to do a stool sample, but I imagine it should have cleared up by then.

• Posted

Good advice Angel191! I had a problem which needed emergency surgery and was looking up Dr Google all the time. Even in the early hours of the morning in bed with the iPad. Not a good idea.

Conor, I'm sure you'll be fine. 

• Posted

I always say if it is something you are genuinely worried about, get it checked out by a doctor. That way you wont mistake serious issues for trivial ones and you wont be constantly thinking every ache and pain is cancer. I think it reduces stress greatly. Educating yourself is a great thing, but you have to be rational at all times (hear hooves? Think horse not Zebra). When it comes to your own health that is hard at the best of times but you mix anxiety in there and things get really bad. And the worry is when you read about symptoms you can trick your brain into thinking you have them, which makes knowing what is a real symptom and what isn't difficult, which makes diagnosis harded. There is a reason Doctors have to have years of medical training and don't just look online rofl. xxxxxx
    • Posted

Thanks for this advice, it eased me. I've been able to eat a whole bag of popcorn and the crampd are getting less close together, if that makes any sense, so that must be a good sign, right?

It's the rumbling that scared me a little, but I'm guessing that could be gas, and I'm also wondering whymy stools are so loose because (tmi) when I do pass gas, really liquidy stools come out but it's very much, hardly anything.

• Posted

I think the rumbling proves it is gas, which is a good thing even if it is uncomfortable. At least you know it will go. Keep on eating what you can, little and often, and make sure you keep drinking lots. I don't normally recommend it but there is a chance having a fizzy drink will help push the air through. Think about it before you do it though as it could make it worse. And remember what I said about sticking your butt in the air, it may not look pretty but it does help shift the gas lol.
    • Posted

Thanks, I mean I guess although I can pass little gas, I still have thr urge to pass it and even when sticking my butt up in the air and rubbing my belly, it doesn't come out, although it does soothe the cramps.
    • Posted

Give the gas some time. Your intestines are roughly 28 feet long.. that gas has got quite a long way to go so it will take some time. Are you able to get to a chemist to buy peppermint oil tablets? Something like Colperman or Wind-eeze will help, and they aren't too expensive. If you are able to get hold of some of them it should help ease the pain. xx
    • Posted

I think, for the moment, I'm putting it down to an upset stomach. Thankyou for all your help.
    • Posted

All very true! Following my surgery, (bowel cancer,) I worried about every little ache and lump. I did see the Dr and he was usually sympathetic and reassuring. I also saw a counsellor which helped a little. It's now 20 months or so since the surgery and at last I am starting to put it all behind me and think more positively. 
    • Posted

Although I had fears of cancer before, it was usually focusing around me, but since my sister got diagnosed with minor salivary gland cancer it seems that every single symptom I see in a family member it seems displays a symptom of something or other I convice myself they are dying too. It just seems to expand and expand and it's a cycle that seems to never stop. It's certainly got worse lately.
  • Posted

It could be a stomach virus, theres been lots going around, eg noroviruses, you have all the symptoms (or else, from eating/ingesting something contianing bad bacteria) If so, it should get better on its own in  afew days; eating toast is a good idea, clear soup also and natural bio-yoghurt. As the other comment said, anxiety - eg over exams - can give upset stomachs as well
  • Posted

I'm not sure whether you are male or female. Could it be that you are (or soon to be) 'on your period' question smile
  • Posted

I'm grateful for everyone's help but I'm still worried that I have an intestinal obstruction. I mean I woke up this morning feeling a lot better and my cramps are getting milder and further apart but I'm still terrified. I don't want to ignore and then something bad happen because I'm terrified of dying. I'm having trouble getting anything out today, I've had some gas but that's about it. I mean when I want to do a bm I can't it won't come out. I haven't had any bloating and I'm just so terrified.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.