Scared I have colon cancer

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello all,

I am a 56 yr old male. I had a colonoscopy six years ago. The colonoscopy was all clear, no polyps or anything. Doc said come back in 10 years. However, since then I have had rectal bleeding, but since I had them prior to the colonoscopy didn't think much of it. Was diagnosed by doc with hemorrhoids, I've had them a very long time.

However, recently I have been very scared. I have noticed a narrowing of my stools (pencil like), gas, and bright red blood in my stool. I am terrified I have cancer now. I guess my question is it possible to have stage 4 after having a clean colonoscopy 6 years ago? Doc told me that the tumors can take 10 years to become cancerous, so that made me feel better. But having all the symptoms is not helping..

Went to doctor last week. He scheduled me for a flexible sigmoidoscopy, since he he said I had my colonoscopy 6 years ago and it was clean..

Guess my other question is should I push for a full colonoscopy or will the flexible sigmoidoscopy be successful in finding whatever is there? The procedure is scheduled for 12/5 so all I can do is wait. I am so scared and find myself really thinking the worse especially when I have the narrow stools and bright red blood.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Dsteiny

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

You are going to be no matter what I say. Just because you have rectal bleeding doesn't mean you have cancer and even if they do find polyps doesn't mean they are cancer. I just had a full colonoscopy because my stool was like black tar, no appetite, losing tons of weight, have other major health issues, they found polyps plus a lump, they took a biopsy of each and waiting for test results. They are what they are, nothing I can do about it. Worry about what you don't know is waisting time. Take each day as it comes. You have right now, tomorrow is not promised. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi dstein,

I had a colonoscopy 18months ago and was diagnosed with Proctitis..was given pentasa suppositories for treatment...just had a sigmoidoscopy last week because I never stopped bleeding,bright red blood,dark stools,pencil stools,rock hard pebble,(plus a couple of times i wiped black blood too) every kind you can think of stool you fan think of and nearly every one with blood..and now after 18months I have had 2wks with normal stools and no blood!..my point is bleeding rectally certainly doesn't always mean cancer as I know. Please bear that in mind while you wait for your sigmoidoscopy...I know how you feel. Best of luck.

• Posted

Highly likely it is the haemorrhoids. I presume it is bright red blood. Pencil like stools are usually just caused by spasm. Ive had them from time to time all my life. If there is anything there it will almost certainly be a small polyp. The sigmoid side is most likely to be the trouble area although I actually find the full colonoscopy more comfortable because once it goes round the first bend the uncomfortable pushing feeling stops. I would be inclined to go for the full one because then you won't need another one hopefully for 5-10 years. Your symptoms are very common particularly as the gut like anything else gets a bit of wear and tear as the years go on so I don't think there is any need to get too fretful about it. Anyway, good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.