Scared I have pancreatic cancer?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi all. For the past 3 months, I have practically convinced myself that I have pancreatic cancer. I have really bad health anxiety and am a complete hypochondriac, however, I truly think I might have this. To start, I am 20 year old female, pretty healthy, normal weight, never drink or smoke, and have no family history of any type of cancer. The only thing wrong with me is I have ovarian cysts with a very large one on my right ovary. 

My suspicion started about 3 months ago when I started having dull pain on the left side of my abdomen right below my rib cage. This has continued since and never truly goes away but seems to be more noticeable around my period for some reason. I have also had fatty stools, itchy skin (palms and back), and have lost weight. The pain also radiates to my back right between my left shoulder blade and spine and feels like a tingly type pain. I went to the doctors at Mayo Clinic and they ordered me an abdominal CT scan about a month ago. They said everything looked normal. I even asked specifically about my pancreas and they said it looked normal. However. I then read online that CT scans can completely miss pancreatic cancer so I am still very stressed out about it. The doctors also still don’t know what is causing my pain, which isn’t reassuring.

Does it sound like I have pancreatic cancer? Is there anything else I can do to 100% rule this out so I can stop stressing about it? I feel as if I’m going crazy and just want some answers. This is really ruining my life, as I can’t go anywhere without thinking about the fact that I might have a terminal cancer diagnosis. Thanks 

2 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

It does not sound like pancreatic cancer.

In early November I had a dull sore pain on the left side under my rib cage. The pain would often radiate through to the left side of my back.  It was very uncomfortable!

I also lost weight and had occasional fatty stools.   I  had terrible indigestion frequently. 

you would be way sicker at this point if you’ve had pancreatic cancer for three months.

I ended up getting an endoscopy and was diagnosed with gastritis. So I have to watch my diet and avoid acid foods . So gastritis can cause all of the symptoms you have also.

That type of cancer is way more common in people who smoke and drink And that would not be the first diagnosis the doctor would be concerned about. Way more common would be gastritis or an ulcer and possibly a few more conditions That are not life-threatening. Talk to your doctor.

You might want to change your diet to see if your symptoms are relieved. I  Eat mainly alkaline foods and reduce greatly the acid producing foods

you can find a list online where the foods are organized into acid and alkaline groups.

normally you eat two alkaline foods to one acid food. And drink plenty of fluids. Ask your doctor About medication to reduce the acid in your stomach.

Doctors would have a pretty good idea if something was going on with your Pancreas so try and relax about that. 

I hope you feel better soon.🌸🌸🌸

• Posted

You've stated you have health anxiety.  And so do I.  Same route, test and so forth.  All good.  And what I'm finding is anxiety causes symptoms. Mine vary monthly.  As you have been, I've been wondering about pancreatic cancer.  Weird pains left side, shoulder blade pain, chest pain. But in a good day with little anxiety, much less pain.  But if I'm in my head, all kinds of weird symptoms.  But that's what anxiety does to you.

• Posted

It doesn't sound at all to me like pancreatic cancer. I'm not a doctor but I'm studying medicine. Due to your lifestyle and family history the probability of you having cancer especially at this age is EXTREMELY slim to none.

?However, I also have health anxiety (ha, and I'm going in the medical field, ironic right?) so I know how real this fear is to you!! I have bad digestion problems, same pain as you, fatty stools and weight loss. I am going for a colonoscopy though to see what is going on, maybe that is something you would want to ask your doc about? It sounds more probable to be a digestive issue to me than it is anything to do with your pancreas. Your doc would well know if it had anything to do with your pancreas, you would honestly likely be much more ill than the symptoms you have described.

?Stay off Google. Google is our biggest enemy, seriously. Every time I make the mistake of Googling a symptom I send myself into a relentless state of panic. Keep your mind occupied, exercise, take up yoga. Thinking about this all the time is just going to stress your mind and your body even more. I really do not think you have cancer, however I am not yet a doctor, so if you continue to feel this way it never hurts to get a second opinion or to re-explain what you have been feeling. Reassurance is always nice. Best of luck to you!! xx

• Posted

Dear Kate you are healthy 20 year old.You are fine.I had the same symptoms and ended up being stomach bacterial infection.Have your doctor tested you for this.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.