Scared if the fish oil supplement I have taken interacts with apixaban?

Posted , 4 users are following.

hey guys

I hope all is well.

i am currently on prescribed apixaban 2.5mg and have suffered severe side effects affecting my brain function and mood.

i did some research and found a good fish oil supplement called seven seas which is max strength in omega 3. however i am terrified i might have done the wrong thing as i didnt check if it interacts with apixaban and am terrified if something was to happen.

please help with any advice u see relevant.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Edited

Hi Adame,

I would not worry about taking an omega 3 but, I would watch what supplements you take until you are taken of this drug, you need to make sure you do not take anything that might stop blood clotting, don't stress yourself out too much.

I had a blood clot in the lung and was put on apixaban 5mg twice a day for three months, after a month I became really ill, felt very sick, bad, bad headache my whole body was shaking inside it was horrible. I went to the doctors the next morning and told him I was not taking it again, I take natural anticoagulants now.

• Posted

hi jen

thanks for your help and great reply I really appreciate it. ever since I've been on anticoagulants I have just cause he'll and made life too difficult to do anything.

Since I have taken this omega-3 supplement it seems to have really helped somehow, so that's why I am terrified if they were to cause bleeding or something like that.

When I speak to the doctor's they just seem useless and don't seem to get the point that is anticoagulants or that troublesome. I'm just very scared you know I hope it'll be ok taking them with the supplement.

st to ask what type of natural anticoagulant are you taking?

• Edited

I exercise as moving is very important to blood flow and a drinking a lot of water. The doctor advised me to buy ginger root and make a tea with it, Initially, I had a couple of cups per day but just have one before bed now. I put flaxseed on my breakfast, after leaving the doctor's when I told him I was no longer taking the apixaban, I bought bromelain as that is a natural anticoagulant, at the moment I am taking fenugreek again an anticoagulant. I am always searching for food, that is also a natural anticoagulant,

The doctor at the hospital when I was taken in with the clot said moving was the most important thing you can do, that and drink water.

• Posted

I'm sorry but this is really bad advice. Blood clots are serious and thousands of people die from them every year. If your doctor says you need to be on anticoagulants, follow their advice.

• Edited

Delio,

Anticoagulants can be very dangerous tablets, side effects are very real and very serious, they can destroy your health. My sister-in-law had a brain bleed from the warfarin she was on.

I understand you believe doctors know everything and are super human, sadly they are human as well and are only following instructions on what to prescribe. In the past year I have watched my husbands health deteriorate with each tablet he has been given. Pharmaceutical drugs can be deadly, if you can find a natural way to overcome your condition it is safer and healthier.

It is not dangerous to let people now how you cope with a condition, what side effects you experience that is the idea of this site to swap ideas. No one is telling people they must stop taking this or that tablet unlike doctors. It is purely and exchange of thoughts and feelings.

I do wonder why you are on here if you just take everything you are told without question.

• Posted

I don't believe anyone is superhuman, but I do believe in evidence-based medicine. Taking advice from a random person on the internet rather than medical professionals is dangerous and gambling with your health. Good luck to you.

• Posted

Fish oils act as a blood thinner. That means it will not interfere with the Apixaban, but it puts you at risk for serious bleeding. I would suggest you discontinue taking the fish oil immediately until you can speak to your doctor.

• Posted

You have done nothing wrong, fish oil is over the counter and it promotes health like a supplement. Supplements rarely affect the body in bad ways, especially when they are over the counter, and from health stores.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.