Scared, mad, and anxious over myomectomy

Posted , 5 users are following.

hello, not sure anyone still uses this, but I thought I'd reach out for support and advice. I'm scheduled for an open myomectomy this Friday and I am terrified.

I've always thought of myself as in great health and when I got this news, I was devastated.

I just turned 30, married, no kids. I have one large fibroid, about 9cm. It's situated on the back of my uterus, on the left side. I have had zero side effects and only learned of it from a CT scan back in October to something unrelated.

I'm terrified to go under for sugery and I'm terrified of my choice to have children taken from me. Having this surgery is the last thing I want to do and my doctor has me feeling like it's my only option.

It's so hard for me to talk about what's going on to anyone, even my husband and mom, because I'm embarrassed, angry, and feel like I'm "damaged".

I'm really trying to see the light at the end of the tunnel here, but it's really hard. That's why I'm reaching out to strangers on the internet, haha.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

How did your surgery go? I also had a 9cm fibroid at the back of my uterus in addition to smaller ones in the front. I chose UFE, but unfortunately my symptoms became worse. Crazy! I was advised against a myomectomy until I was ready to conceive because of the risk of the fibroids growing back. But I wasn't willing to play the do nothing and wait game any longer. I'm looking to see if Lysteda will help with my bleeding now. Hopefully my fibroid will continue to shrink enough so that it will no longer cause me issues.

• Posted

Shelby,

I hope you didn't do the surgery unless it was risking your life/health for some reason! You said you have no side affects but you saw it in a scan for unrelated reason. Why get the surgery if there's no symtoms? Since its in the back and it is so big, is it affecting your bowels, rectum or colon perhaps? If so get it removed but make it clear you want children so they don't mess your uterus up. Involve your family, some of these doctors are evil they'll do what's easier for them than save your uterus. If you tell them what you said here about being embarrassed to talk to family they'll take advantage of that! Always show them you for support etc.

Now about you feeling damaged, many women get fibroids and its normal! Most times they dont even know because it doesnt cause problems. Its totally normal to have them and not know about it also because of its location. In your case and many of us, having it removed is Necessary because of its bas location! Let us know what you decided. Good luck

• Posted

Be calm and composed. You can work and get great results although discomfort is highly likely after surgery.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.