Scared need help/support

Posted , 4 users are following.

Im 17 and female. I have been dealing with mono for 2 months and a week. I have a disconnected feeling from the world I feel like I'm not me like someone else is running my body its affecting my speech I get very nervous when there is a lot of people talking around me. I can not remember nothing at all its hard for me to take in things im scared its going to affect me like this forever. Some of my symptoms went away but I still have a lot. I am so tired all the time and have a very very spaced out feeling. I have major test coming up and don't know how im going to do it im very scared. Is this the mono doing this to me? Is there any advice on how to help? Has anybody else had this feeling?

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi Emma,

Yes, mono does all these things, you will recover, it just takes such a long time. The anxiety it causes is unbelievable.

• Posted

Hi Emma,

So sorry to hear you've been going through such a hard time with mono, really empathising having been through it myself when I was 25. I just want to reassure you that you won't feel this way forever, this virus does get better given time, it's just so horrible and frustrating and painful that it seems to last so long for many folk. I was the same it took me months to get over it, felt terrible and was scared and worried too, but this thing does get better and you will be back to full health again Emma. Being young is a great advantage because the younger you are the less drawn out the recovery can be - it is normal to be feeling like this after 2 months and equally normal to go on and make a full recovery, reall want to reassure you.

In terms of advice, rest is sooo important and removing stress as much as possible from life. I know that's not easy, but your body really needs time to recover as this is such a nasty virus. Some people set themselves back by trying to do too much or work on through it - so remember be kind to yourself and put your health first. Try and do something each day you enjoy that doesn't take a lot of energy or stress, even just watching fav tv show, reading, going for a short walk, phoning a friend - anything that can help you unwind a bit. Sometimes listening to relaxation apps on your phone or you tube can help too.

Taking vitamins and herbs really helped me during recovery, and can help for sure with the brain fog and spaced out feeling. A good strong multi-vitamin per day is wise, and a B complex vitamin or Co-enzyme Q10 can also really help calm your nervous system and with concentration levels. Making sure you get enough Vitamin C and immune boosting herbs like siberian ginseng / echinicea can also be really helpful.

Most important just want you to know that what you're going through is normal for the virus and that you WILL get better - don't panic if it still takes a wee bit of time, this can happen, but you definitely will get better 100%, and as young person I believe you will have lots of good and healthy and happy times to look forward to once this horrible time is by. Hang in there and just take it one day at a time and focus on your recovery and being kind to yourself.

Craig

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.