Scared! New to metoprolol Succinate/ side effects

Posted , 10 users are following.

i was in the ER Wednesday for fast heart rate that wouldnt slow down, i was dianosed with AVNRT a form of SVT. they prescribed me 25m a day of metoprolol succinate. i had first dose in hospital and felt fine until thursday morning, i felt slightly light headed and dizzy and just out of it mentally (like derealization), appetite wasnt the same and didnt sleep well during the night, friday felt the exact same, and now this morning woke up really nauseous and trying not to get sick, along with the out of it and not sleeping and stuff i have been having. are these common side effects that will go away and my body just needs to adjust or will they just continue to get worse? im afraid to keep taking them but also afraid to stop them.

0 likes, 25 replies

25 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I think, as others have said, everyone is different. I have tried stopping, but had heart issues that began again some weeks after i stopped. Since end of last year i have been on them permanently again, not feeling good, but on tiny dose, and not as bad as the "low" dose i was on before, Still have breathing problems, balance problems seem worse too, but cant be 100% sure, and always feel better if i let the effect run out, by having the next dose a few hours late, but, sadly, i have to take the dose. GP refuses to let me try atenolol, she says it is an 'older medicine, not used much now'. So there may be many beta blockers, but now the freedom to try more than GP thinks ok, mine does get into the brain, i know from previous Patient discussions, that atenolol does not. If you do not feel better after using for 2 or 3 weeks, i would discuss with doctor, hope things work out

• Posted

sorry, i meant 'not the freedom to try', i wrote 'now'. Typo

• Posted

P.S read the leaflet again , you will see that bbs also can make existing allergies more of a problem. I find this. I did not read more than the side effects on the leaflet, not the bullet points lower on my leaflet, when i started - that was a mistake. GPs seem to know little re all these things, best to phone the manufacturers, vey good in my experience. I also find that my beta blocker also increases my existing susceptibilities, i do not know if anyone else has found that..... .eg. got more infections anyway, etc, now get more, and also more likely to find it difficult to throw off minor fungal infections, too

• Posted

I cant say how it is for you, but i was on it years. I had insomnia, severe anxiety, depression and was beginning to develop acid reflux. It was all due to medication! You need to stop slowly if you stop at all. I had briefly read about the side effects, but it wasnt until i got a copy of consumer reports, on the cover was the article on most dangerous drugs. Over the years, it also caused me to gain 40 pounds! i thought it was because of menopause, but later read about how it slows down everything from metabolism to digestion, thus weight gain and acid reflux. I have been off of it for 1 year, feeling better and losing some weight without trying. If you can find the article, it was about a year ago, it is worth a read.

• Posted

I had same exact side effects plus more. I ask my cardiologist to switch me to something else because I could not take it. He switched me to Atenolol but still having side effects but not as severe. My advice is have them switch you if you can. Metoprolol is very potent and has the worse side effects and can cause severe depression among other things. Atenolol as explained by my PCP and cardiologist has less side effects. Hope this helps. I know what you are going through and its awful feeling.

• Posted

Usually, people's bodies eventually get used to the medicine and dosage. It took me 8 months for my body to get used to the 15mg dosage i am on for mental illness. Speak to your doctor about it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.