Scared of CT scan contrast reaction

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello Friends! I am due to have a CT scan of my abdomen on the 25th of September. I am in Canada. I have been having some pain on my right side for about 6 months now. I also get diarreah here and there. Sometimes though, I feel normal. But most of the time I have pain and a lot of nausea. 

I am scared of the ct contrast that they will be injecting into me. I will also be drinking the barium before the exam. I am not thrilled about that, but the injection of contrast is what worries me. Has anyone had an allergic reaction to it or gotten sick to their stomach? I really don't want this to happen. I am just wondering how common it is for a bad reaction to happen. Can anyone who has had this test let me know what happened? Thanks so much!

0 likes, 9 replies

9 Replies

• Posted

Hi Lilygirl

I have had that proedure done .I was ok with it .I didnt have any reaction at all

You will befine I am sure best of luck to you

Joyce x

• Posted

Just a bit of reasurance for you.I had scan I was scared but amazed it was over so quick the injection made me feel a little warm but no after effects.

I have had barium scan also,I was so worried, the barium drink was strawberry flavored a bit thick to ok to drink. I thought I would have the same problems as you because I am alergic to a lot of medication.

Results i had helicobacter pylori. I was put on 4 different antibiotics. Now I have esomeprazole 1 tablet daily.

Word of advice don't keep looking on line with your symptoms, I found I had everything I looked at.

Hope you don't have to wait long before your scan.

Hope all goes well.x holly

• Posted

Okay, now I have a new worry. I told my Dr. about my concerns about having an allergic reaction to the contrast, and my Dr. ordered Prednisone to take before the test, along with Benedryl and Zantac. I thought this was reassuring...until I went and picked up the prescription for the Prednisone...the parmacist what surprised at how a HIGH dose it was! 50mg 3 times before the test. A total of 150mg of Prednisone in 12 hours....I am so scared now of that! It says to take with food, but the last dosage is 1 hour before the scan and I am not allowed to eat 4 hours before the test. I really am so scared. I don't know how I will get through all of this sad

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.