Scared of eating after flare

Posted , 5 users are following.

I've been suffering from a bowel blockage and have had overflow diarrhoea. I'm now scared of eating what I thought were my safe foods (e. g white rice) - chicken and lamb are the only foods that don't make me feel stressed at the thought of them 😞 Beans, nuts, grains and lots of veg give me diarrhoea. I'm scared of food in general. Any tips?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

You sound a lot like me. Although I have multiple problems, constipation is one of them. In the past however diarrhea was the enemy. Is your diarrhea caused by the medication you have been taking to get rid of the constipation?

My issue is many foods and medication security my digestive system causing cramps bloating gas Etc.   If I am understanding your problem correctly,  It sounds like our problems are similar except your foods are causing diarrhea where mine are just causing every other symptoms without the diarrhea.  Have you tried over-the-counter anti-diarrhea medication?  When my stomach acts up, the only foods I can eat our almonds, peanut butter, and bananas… Of course candy and other junk foods are fine to ironically. It's typically healthy food that causes issues.

• Posted

It was impacted stool - constipation so severe that diarrhoea wasn't getting rid of the blockage. I was prescribed laxatives after I wrote this so now it's just diarrhoea! I know what you mean about healthy foods - too much fibre causes a lot of problems for me. Take care.

• Posted

Sounds similar to me. I'm currently on my worst flare up ever gripping, pinching abdomen with the pain going under ribs with diarrhea .. Almost 7 weeks with only about 2-3 pain free days. So much so that I'm currently on day 8 on a course of sertraline. The pain and misery got me so down that I just cracked. Although the meds cause appetite loss I'm just starting to get it back but am scared of almost everything I see on a plate. I have had plain chicken and brown rice for 3 days solid. I'm now starting a food diary and meditation as the anxiety of the last month has made it worse. Good luck.

• Posted

Oh my goodness my heart truly goes out to you, I know exactly how you feel.  The physical  symptoms definitely cause mental issues as well. I could write a book about the anxiety and depression these issues cause. People do not understand, especially when you work full time. I am a teacher and have had many issues in the classroom, the thought of being trapped and having an episode is overwhelming.   I wish I could offer you some advice for your symptoms but unfortunately I am at a loss as well. Is there anything you have tried? I am on familiar with that medication you mentioned I will have to research that.
    • Posted

Hi Albert, thanks for your sympathy. It is horrible. Yes there are far worse ailments or diseases to have but it's just debilitating and you get no warning. People that don't have this problem don't understand the mental impact it can have. Sertraline is used to calm the anxiety thus calming your digestive system as I don't think I ever gave it time to heal what with me trying to drink the pain away... Not a good idea. Be warned though the side affects of this med can be immense at the start and if like me you got really down your anxiety and depression get worse before they get better. The last week has been a blur really. I had a really good year last year using a probiotic and a Aloe Vera supplement if that's any help. I've also seeing a friend who does acupuncture. Always been a bit sceptical about these things but I will now try anything!

• Posted

I totally get it honestly, the mental stress is debilitating- holidays are typically the worst because not only are you obligated to attend , you are expected to be happy, cheerie, and social.  Sometimes you are so sick you just can't even fake it.  

Is your main symptoms moreso diarrhea ?  Mine is ibs-c.  Basically I get the symptoms of someone that would have diarrhea, i.e. Rumbling stomach, pain, cramps, gas bloating, but don't actually get the diarrhea. I was prescribed Librax which sounds similar to Sertralin that you mentioned.  It was basically xannax and an antacid.

Although I'm not taking any IBS medicine, in respect to the I am currently taking Lexapro, it has definitely helped me to cope.

• Posted

I'm really sorry to hear about your problems. IBS is definitely a huge cause of anxiety for me as well - if only we knew the exact foods to eat! I really hope you can find a solution.

• Posted

Eat your safe foods since you know they don’t trigger symptoms.  Don’t be frightened because anxiety will lengthen your flare up. Take Imodium after eating to calm diarrhoea. 
  • Posted

Thanks for the support everyone ?? I think I'll just stick to plain chicken or lamb with easy to digest veggies. It was impacted stool - so stuck that diarrhoea was happening but not dislodging it so my doctor prescribed laxatives. Good luck to all of you finding something that works, but sharing experiences helps our anxiety levels anyway!

• Posted

Sticking to your safe foods amd avoiding your trigger foods will help.
  • Posted

Sorry to hear about this , sometimes I feel the same but based on experience, it's worst when you don't eat. try your safe foods in small portions, like eat 6-8 times a day small portions, lots of warm water. 

Let us know if there's a difference. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.