Scared of endoscopy

Posted , 5 users are following.

I m getting this done next week I m scared I don’t want to get it done but I the same time I do want to find out what’s wrong with my stomach sad I know they will put me to sleep I m scared of no waking up I don’t know my ocd anxiety make think the worse all the time I have allergies and non allergies rihinithis and my nose is stuffy 99% of the time  I use spray and pills for it and my sinus but only work for short time how can I have this done if I breathe with my mouth all the time will I die of a tube is on my mouth I can’t breathe sad someone please help me I will call the office on Monday and let them know my nose always stuffy how can I have this done will I be available to breathe with a tube in mouth 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ana,

I had these procedure done in December. I opted for the throat spray so I was fully awake throughout. It wasn't a pleasant experience, obviously, but it's not painful and it lasted 10 minutes tops.

It sounds like you're opting for sedation. With sedation you're not put totally to sleep like you would be with a general anaesthetic - so there's absolutely no worry of not waking up. Though I didn't have it, I guess the sedation makes you feel a bit sleepy and relaxed. For reassurance, you can still breathe through your mouth.

I think it's better to put up with some minutes of discomfort in order to find out what's wrong.

Good luck with the procedure. You'll be fine! 

Maisie

• Posted

Yes you are right  I want to do it without sedation how does that felt with it I had nose endoscopy before without sedation and just Spray just felt uncomfortable but no pain at all are this the same did you felt like throwing up when they put the tube in that’s my fear I m scared of them doing something wrong and scratch my stomach or my intestines  and then giving me a problem later on  I m a 24 years old woman I had c section before also eye surgery sergury awake  had scan a lot things done and didn’t scared me at all but when it come to put things in my nose or mouth I freak out  everything else fine sad
  • Posted

You wouldn't be normal if you were not apprehensive but I can truthfully say that if I had to have another one I would again opt for staying awake and not feel more than a few flutters no the day. Knowledge is power as they say. 

Given your anxieties about anaesthetics, which I share, hence opting to stay awake,  might this be best for you, too, perhaps?

I am a 120lb woman so I guess I don't have an over large oesophagus. The throat relaxant tasted to me like slightly alcoholic bananas, nothing special but not unpleasant. Because I have dentures, these had to be removed and then the gum shield was put in. Again, nothing upsetting there especially as the nurse talked quietly all the time, giving instructions and explanations. I found this very reassuring and felt involved. When she said "now swallow", I did and the tube went down rather like a piece of dry bread would. I am sure there will be more than enough room for air to breathe as well as the tube. Do discuss you fear about this with the doctor doing the procedure.

I was able to drive myself 20 miles home immediately afterwards. ( I had arranged for back up just in case but it was no needed. )

We are all different and it is not for me to tell you what is best for you but I hope my experience might make things a bit less scary for you.

Good luck.

I was invited to turn over and could see the camera in my stomach. I did not need any biopsies and was told there and then that all was well

• Posted

Thank you so much for taking your time to explain this to me I really appreciate it thank you smile
  • Posted

I support no sedation 110%!!! It's a 3 minute procedure tops and I had several biopsies. The worst part for me was the flavor of the numbing spray it's just the worst flavor ever, like carbonated acidic Rotten banana.  You can breathe completely normal through your mouth during the procedure! That was my biggest fear and I was stunned to find that I was breathing completely normal with the tube in. They'll pump your stomach with air so they can get a good look at everything and the extra air will make you burp - also while the tube is in.  Honestly it's the easiest procedure ever and you have nothing to fear.  You're going to be fine and sooo happy to be up and out of the office in minutes instead of hours. 

• Posted

Thank you so much this make me feel better smile I will get it in one week a little bit nervous but this helped me a lot thank you for taking. Your time  to answer this wink

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.