Scared of leukemia

Posted , 4 users are following.

I came up with a large purple bruise about 5 weeks ago and at this point I wasn’t feeling great so I googled and instantly thought I had leukemia, the bruise faded quickly but I slowly started to experience other symptoms of leukemia , I had a fever and stomach pain which sent me to a&e , they did blood tests and everything was fine, but found a Uti. I then went to my doctors to have more blood tests and they found glandular fever in a positive mono spot test but further EBV tests showed i couldnt have had mono. after this I was still scared to death and convinced my self the mono spot was a false positive and it was leukemia that was making me feel ill so I paid for a private blood test, the results came back normal for this but I am still scared as my gums bleed easily sometimes and I have small red blood spots on my arms chest and legs. I have days where im feeling ok and others where i dont feel myself. Can anyone one give reassurance or hasn’t anyone experienced anything similar !

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

• Posted

"they did blood tests and everything was fine"

"so I paid for a private blood test, the results came back normal"?

You've not got leukemia, leukemia is the very definition of a blood cancer, and if you had it your blood tests would have been all screwed up. (Not a doctor or medical advice).

The little red dots are called cherry angiomas, they are 100% nothing to worry about unless you're covered in them. I have them and have had them for 10+ years at least, lots of people have them, and they are not malignant. (Not a doctor or medical advice, just my opinion).

Gums bleeding = go see a dentist, you might have a little gingivitis or something. That should be easily resolved with a little hygienist effort and/or lifestyle/diet changes. (I'm not a dentist, offering dental advice, but go see one!) 

• Posted

Thanks for the reply, im just sick of having no answers. Im worried about having a positibe mono spot test but a negative ebv test which means my mono spot had to be a false positive and reasons why this happens are scary rolleyes
    • Posted

Re the Mono bit, I've had some mono-like illness for the past 2 months and my mono came back negative. (That's where my username comes from cheesygrin).

Maybe it's just a virus/bug that you've got and it needs to work itself out. Sucks I know! I was told "probably just a virus" etc. I even got tested for flu and strep too, but it came back negative on both of those too. All my blood work is fine as well. 

• Posted

What symptoms are you experiencing at the moment? I would just love to know what caused me to have a false positibe mono spot because everything i read is nasty!
    • Posted

If you look at a list of mono symptoms, I've had every one of them over the past 8 weeks cry (except for an enlarged spleen cheesygrin).

I'm currently having throat and sinus trouble, along with: chills, night sweats on occassion, fatigue etc. but a lot of the other symptoms seem to be going. Everything that's been checked on me so far isn't showing any red flags and I've had a LOT of tests. 

Just seems to be that there is some horrible bug/virus out there at the moment. (Doesn't seem to matter which country you're in either). 

• Posted

Mono test = negative

Flu = negative

Strep = negative

Chest X-Rays = fine

Urine test = fine (no kidney liver or bladder problems)

Blood Tests

CBC = fine (red white and platelets all good)

B12 = fine

Potassium = fine

Magnesium = fine

Liver function = fine

Kidney function = fine

Inflammation markers = fine

I think there be some other blood related things missing, can't remember all the things tested but it was 12 things in total.

They also done an ECG which came back all good too, that was because I was having a panic attack at one point. 

Not sure what else they could have tested me for tbh, but seeing an ENT at some point to figure it out hopefully. biggrin

• Posted

Wow that’s a lot. Do you have good and bad days in regards to how your feeling?
    • Posted

Yep! More tests likely tomorrow too, seeing a Neurologist.

My symptoms seem to change by the day or sometimes the hour. What about you? cheesygrin

• Posted

Yes, I’ve had so many symptoms and they change constantly! My doctor did the basic blood tests which came back normal so he just diagnosed ‘anxiety and depression’. How frustrating. I’m now in the process of finding a new doctor smile
    • Posted

I know that frustration! I'm starting to think my problems are all anxiety related to be honest, I don't think the C word moves around your body so much 😀.

I do still have a few constant symptoms though, like the too cold/ too hot feeling, and night sweats, but even those seemingly worrying things could just be anxiety symptoms. 😋

• Posted

Yes, but that seems to be pretty rare for me. I've never once vomited or anything either.

My latest gut symptom seems to be constipation (which be caused by me drinking red wine I think). Haven't had the sickly feeling for a week or two I don't think. Can't remember exactly when it was.

I also had acid reflux at one point too, and could feel my food going down. eek That seems to have gone as well. 

• Posted

Do you have blood spots on your body? I’m sure mine aren’t cherry angiomas as mine are flat
    • Posted

Yes I do and have had them for years. Cherry angiomas/peteachia  or whatever they're called. Mine are flat, but I have one that looks like a red mole too. 

They're totally harmless unless you have a LOT of them, then there might be something wrong.

I've got about 20 or more that I can count, they're on my arms, chest/abdomen, and legs too. Pretty much anywhere apart from my face (thank goodness, that'd be worrying for other reasons!)

Just remember that; If your blood work is fine after 2 tests, it is highly unlikely to be leukemia (AKA blood cancer) cheesygrin

(Not that I'm a doctor or offering medical advice. Just my opinion.) 

• Posted

I’m just super scared because I have about 4 petechaie on the rooth of my mouth that came up today sad
    • Posted

I’m worried that my blood levels/results may have changed since I last had a blood test (at the start of May)
    • Posted

I don't think you get them in your mouth? Not sure! I had some red spots in my mouth too, went to the dentist and they done an oral cancer screening that found nothing wrong in there either. I'd suggest going to a dentist who does OC screening if you're worried about that region. cheesygrin

I very much doubt your blood work would have gone out of whack in 3-4 weeks, but go get it checked again if you feel you need to! Mine was 5-6 weeks ago, and I doubt anything has changed for me either. 

• Posted

I can’t help but cry and get scared as everything I’ve experienced seems to point back to leukemia sad the petechaie in my mouth are especially scaring me. I have the dentist tomorrow!
    • Posted

Do you think it’s possible for leukemia not to show in a blood test? I had a blood smear aswell but this was 3 weeks ago now
    • Posted

Leukemia is the definition of blood cancer, so I don't think you would get clear blood tests and still have it. I'd say it was impossible even, but I'm not a doctor. cheesygrin

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.