Scared of manipulation

Posted , 4 users are following.

I'm 7 weeks post op on right TKR & making very slow progress. PT & doing exercises on my own is still very painful. I can get to about 90 Degrees but with a lot of pain. I only have pain when exercising & a little at night. My Dr. thinks I may need manipulation. My PT disagrees. He doesn't feel scar tissue and thinks I'm progressing. I'm terrified of manipulation and would appreciate any thoughts.

Also, if it is necessary, what happens after manipulation? Thanks

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Are you in UK? Is there swelling? If it was my knee I would go with PT's opinion myself. Early days. Slow and steady. Most of my improvements in range of motion came after ten week am when swelling majority reduced! 😀

• Posted

I'm in US. Swelling is not bad. Gets worse after exercise or being on my feet. I am leaning towards PT's opinion. Seeing Dr in a few days so I'll know for sure. Thanks.

• Posted

Yes, but that's the other issue. I have a very high hiigh tolerance to pain meds. Have already tried 3 different ones without relief so it's very frustrating.

• Posted

How annoying! Keep elevating and icing ad much as possible maybe also helpful...best wishes
  • Posted

After manipulation all you do is exercise easier. I had it and went from 95 to 115 within 2 days then to 122 within 2 weeks. It doesn't hurt, they knock you out for 10-15minutes and send you on your way. Important to start exercising it right away to keep it loose. Good Luck. I am 4+ months post TKR and finally doing well.

• Posted

Thank you. How many weeks were you when you had manip? Was there a difference in pain afterwards in general or during PT & exercise?

• Posted

It was much easier. Pain a little less but movement was better. Manipulation for me either was at 12 weeks, I think. I progressed quickly after that. No pain in manipulation for me. You'll be glad you had it done.

• Posted

Never having had it I'm not a voice of experience but I've seen the opinions of at last 2 dozen people on here and it seems to be a split decision. I'm of the opinion that the fewer times you have to be anesthetized, the better. Outside of that, you have to do What's best for the end results. You are only under for a few minutes and there isn't any ill effects from the anesthesia. The only thing I've ever read, a tiny group has experienced Minor damage (cracking) of the bone. Others say they would never have been able to heal as completely without it.

• Posted

Thanks to everyone's responses. Another thing I'm wondering about. After 7 weeks I can bend to 90 degrees on my own but it feels very tight and still experience some pain. Is that normal?

When is it expected to get there or beyond comfortably?

• Posted

I had same at that time. Now at four months it is fine..feels stiffer and tiny pain when bent at 130 degrees but obviously not bothered about that. Range of motion continues to improve for months and months..mine really moved forwards at around ten to 12 weeks.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.