Scared of sFI

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hello! I'm a healthy 17 year old boy and I've had intermittent sleep problems for a while now, but recently things have gotten worse. For the past three days I have trouble falling asleep, and once I do fall asleep it's really light and only for about four-five hours. I'm an admitted hypochondriac, but all of this has me worried about Sporadic Fatal Insomnia. Also, I read that constipation is a symptom, and I've experienced this too. I'm really worried, but at the same time know I'm probably fine but there's still that big nagging "What If?" What should I do b/c this is starting to really scare me? Thanks!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi raz,

Drink warm milk before going to bed.Try to drink more than 250ml.

Make a habit of drinking milk daily at bed time.Start drinking regularly.within few days you will find this working wonders.Hypochondriacism is the symptom of lack of sleep.Once you started getting proper sleep every other brain issues will go away

.You are very young boy.Dont fell into the abyss of sleep medications.

• Posted

I would't worry if I was you, im 12 and im also worrying but i had the same problem around 2 years ago and i got over it and things went back to normal and i fell only into a slightly longer sleep pattern. A few tips for better sleep is to either have a warm bath before bed or drink some warm milk, or listen to an audiobook.

Im sure you will eventually get over it and everything will be ok again!

• Posted

Hey there,

Don't worry about sFI as it's rare - as in, one of the rarest diseases in the history of the world. Furthermore, having sFI at your age is next to impossible, even for a disease that's already incredibly rare to begin with. It's safer to say that your anxiety is what is keeping you up. Avoid Googling symptoms -- you most definitely do not have sFI, despite what your hypochondria is telling you. 

Instead, try basic sleep hygiene: avoid stimulating activities before bed (no TV, no phone, no computer at least an hour before going to bed), wake up at the same time every morning, avoid taking naps, avoid caffeine, make sure your bedroom is dark and comfortable, and try to use your bed only for sleeping.

Also try melatonin supplements (preferably 1 mg or less). I would also suggest exercising in the morning, like taking a walk or jog, which will help exhaust your body and make it easier to sleep at night.

Last of all, don't worry. It'll come to pass. I know insomnia feels awful but you're still young, so try your best not to stress out over sleep, as stress often contributes to sleeping problems.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.