scared of side effects

Posted , 9 users are following.

about to start methotrexate 2.5 mg. I've read all kinds of scary things about this medicing. Terrified to take it. Can you please give me your experience on it... Thanks

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Hi Michele. I was terrified about starting Methotrexate too but it was not as bad as I feared. I felt a bit queasy at first but apart from fatigue the side effects are manageable. When they increase my dose each time, I get terrible headaches but these go after a while. It is very effective and I'm glad I take it. If the nausea is too bad, they can prescribe it by self inject pens which are super easy and is supposed to lessen stomach side effects. I take anti sickness tablets because I'm so phobic of throwing up but even before that, I never was actually sick. I have monthly blood tests which is annoying but other than that, it's ok. Good luck

• Posted

Hi

i have taken mxt since diagnosis 2 years ago . No feeling sick- just a bit of lack of concentration on the day I take it( 25 mg a week)

The dose for RA is about a tenth of that given for chemotherapy out of interest. The monthly blood tests mean liver function is checked so I feel very safe knowing that. It s a first line therapy as many people are helped by it.

• Posted

Taken since October diagnosis. 15 mg and so far not one side effect..im thinking it will b increased this month as i am still having pain.  I hope you are one of the lucky ones!
  • Posted

Hi Michele

You are being given a very low dose. I am on 25mg. Some people do seem to have bad side effects from it. I get some too but I have got such a lot of benefit from it I am prepared to accept that. You probably won't notice anything on such a low dose so don't get worried. You may only feel better ! It takes a while to take effect so be patient. You only take it once a week and will probably be given folic acid to counteract any side effects.

Take care

Sherry

• Posted

I was on the horrid Methotrexate I found I would bruise very easely and would take a long time to heal.

At one time I was to have surgery and when asked my medication I said Methotrexate I was asked "any side effects" and yes I did have constant mouth ulcers I then had bloods drawn and this surgery was cancelled

My Dr then took me off Methotrexate and replaced it with Sulfaslazine

Under NO circumstances would I take Methotrexate again

• Posted

Hi Michele.

Easy to say I know but try not to be scared. My mum (83) went on Methotrexate last October after being diagnosed with RA. We didn't know what the problem was but she woke up one day last summer with swollen legs and ankles which were red and I thought it was cellulitis. It wasn't! Once we got into the hospital system, mum started on Methotrexate at 10mg plus prednisolone which the GP had prescribed in advance of the hospital appointment. The Consultant said she would not normally consider it for someone of her age but as she seemed otherwise well, and bloods ok, she would suggest it. Though mum has had other problems emerge since ( not RA related as far as I know), she has been ok on the MethotrexAte. Like you I was scared, especially at her age. The Methotrexate has helped and the only side effects sh has really had are tiredness ( comes with RA too of course) and thinning hair ( which was very thin anyway too). Mum is now on increased doses of 20mg having started on 10mg. So, see how it goes for you and if it doesn't work or you do not like it, your doctor can maybe suggest something else. I have to say, I hate to see my mum on all the drugs etc and as she is quite frail now too, I do really worry but when she has a flare, I see just how bad things are and it takes away what independence she has left and causes her so much pain that I can see quality of life is better for her on the meds. I'm just being selfish wanting her to be with me for ever! At least on the meds we get out and about in the car, visit the seafront ( I'm lucky as we live near the sea) have a coffee the and sometimes, fish and chips as a Saturday evening treat. Wishing you all the very best and do let us know how it goes for you.

• Posted

I'm on 1ml of MTX and have been for around 6 months.   It was making me extremely nauseous but the Rheumayologist also has me on other meds to combat that so the nauseousnes only lasts for a few hours on the day I inject.   I bruise and bleed easily but some of that could also be from prednisone and hydroxychloroquine.   MTX is no different from any other meds used to treat this disease, all have very similar side effects.   If MTX helps to reduce the pain and slow the disease progression then the side effects are a small price to pay.   Unfortuntale non of the meds have worked for me so I'll be having a discussion with my Doc about that next Monday.   No reason to be scared, every single medication has side effects, even aspirin.   If it does the trick embrace it for all it's worth, this is a terrible disease that will never go away and never get better.

• Posted

I think from reading all the comments its clear that you must try methotrexate. There is always going to be a few who say it is an awful drug but they are in the minority. It can't be so bad for so many on here to be taking it!

• Posted

I again say methotrexate is a horrid drug with numerous side effects I have not taken this drug for over 5 years and my RA is still in remission and controlled with my current medication Sulfasalazine (replaced methotrexate) Arava and Plaquenil daily.

Mobic, only to be taken with inflammation.

I feel a non medical person should not advise people to take any medication

The link following shows methotrexates good and bad points it is up to the individual to get medical opinions and come to there own conclusion http://rheumatology.org.au/community/documents/MTX210208.pdf[/b]

• Posted

Yes Rhonda everyone must make their own decision. Michele has been advised by a medical person to take methotrexate and was just asking for others experiences. You were one of the ones it didn't work for but it has brought great relief to many people. Some of the drugs you are having success with can effect some people adversely. We are all different and sometimes have to try many drugs in order to find one that works for us. All drugs are horrid. We have to accept that.

Glad you are in remission for so long!

Take care

• Posted

I started methotrexate about 4 weeks ago and have been fine in general (15mg). No nausea but seem to have very poor sleep on the night I take it. I also felt worried when it was first suggested to me - wondering just how toxic it is - but so far so good. As other people have commented, your dose does seem low. It's worth a try I think.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.