Scared of surgery and scared of pain forever afterwards

Posted , 9 users are following.

Hi,

?I've been suffering, on and off, since 2014 when I had a day in hospital. They diagnoised a gallbladder infection, gave me antibiotics and sent me home. Nothing really to report until about a month ago when I started having a constant cramping again, and a few very acute episodes which eventually got me admitted into hospital a couple of weeks ago via A&E.

?Since then I have been sent home with antibiotics that are making me feel sick all the time, and the strong suggestion that I should be getting an operation in the near future.

?I am terrified of the operation, but at the same time I can't live with the threat of this pain all the time. I have read on here, foolishly perhaps, that many people suffer from the same pain *after* removal, so what do I do? It sounds like I'm dammned either way.

?Advice please and thanks in advance. 

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi I'm going in on Friday for the op I've just clicked that it's dangerous also everyday life has been affected I tried to manage on my own but can't I've read good and bad but a lot of the bad have other things wrong as well so I'm going to get it out and hope for the best I'm scared asewell but I'll cope take care

• Posted

I had mine out two years ago, I was in so much pain and felt really poorly before op.  I had pain and discomfort for a while, but that could be scar tissue.  I only eat a small amount of fatty food, no sausages, flaky pastry or anything swimming in fat. as some foods when warm can be very fatty. 

I would have this op again I was very frightened too but I'm glad I had it, but whether you do or don't that's up to you. 

• Posted

The pain is telling you that there is something wrong that needs to be fixed.  A bad gallbladder will not get better and negatively affects other organs, including your liver and pancreas.  So, it's not just the pain that you need to be concerned about.  The operation is usually done by a lap procedure, but the longer you wait it's possible for things to get much worse internally.

I'm not trying to scare you--just being truthful.  It's possible that you might suffer from pain, but at least you will be rid of an organ that (when it's diseased) can cause many more health problems. If that happens, it will be more painful, but pain could be the least of your worries...

Best ot luck to you!  Let me know how you get on.  xx

• Posted

Hi, if you have gallstones or your gallbladder isn't working then unfortunately there isn't a cure and you will need to have it removed. 

The operation was very easy and I wasn't in as much pain from that as I expected.

Don't forget there are thousands of people that have this operation every year and the majority don't have any problems afterwards at all. There has been people on here that have now had their surgery and we don't see them on here anymore as its been successful.

Just remember that you are having major surgery and to rest afterwards, it takes a long time to heal on the inside, much slower than the outside so don't rush things, just take it easy.

I'm sure that you'll be fine and let me know when you get a date, and don't worry about the operation, I know we all do. I was looked after very well by the nurses in the hospital and that makes a huge difference when you're so frightened.

Take care. 

• Posted

Hi Lynda, how are you too?

I've just got an appointment to see a private gastroenterologist on Wednesday as anything via the nhs at the moment is taking too long. I'm not expecting miracles but I just need to speak to someone more for a peace of mind as I'm still in alot of pain which I feel is getting worse.

Saying that, the weather was perfect here after I got home from work so I've been sitting out in the sunshine and enjoying my garden, it certainly makes me feel a little more positive.

I hope that you're doing alright. xx

• Posted

Hi Katherine,

Thanks for getting back to me!  I am sorry that you're still in a lot of pain.  I hope that the private gastroenterologist will have some good suggestions as to what would bring you more relief. Living with pain is so awful! Unfortunately, pain seems to be the one thing that most doctors ignore completely....unless they're the ones in pain, that is!  sad

As for me, I have my second UTI since the one I was diagnosed for in January.  It's a real bummer!  I'm on antibiotics and am investigating more probiotics and other things I can do to make things better.  I don't want to keep taking antibiotics, because I know that the UTI and the vaginosis that I've got will just keep coming back.  

We had scheduled a vacation this week, but we've had to cancel, because travelling is just too much right now.  I know it took me 2 years to recover from my gallbladder surgery.  But it will be a year in July since I had my hysterectomy, and I'd hoped I'd recover sooner rather than later.

My roses are blooming and my peonies won't be far behind.  They are so lovely, and they do offer so much joy, comfort and hope!  

I'm wishing only the best for you!  Please let me know how the appointment goes!  xx 

• Posted

Hi Lynda, I wish you well as you seem to be dealing with so much all the time. Yes I'm the same with antibiotics, I don't like taking them unless I really have too, otherwise you build up an immunity to them.

Its such a shame that you had to cancel your vacation. I'm the same I just can't face travelling at the moment.

You must be a little warmer than us as my roses aren't out yet but buds are forming. I've had camelias and early clematis out and now I've got aquilegias and foxgloves just in bud. I love this time of year in the garden and seeing everything come alive.

I'll let you know how I go after my appointment. 

Take care of yourself and I'll speak soon. xx

• Posted

Hi Lynda, how are you?

I thought I'd just update you after I had a private consultation. The consultant I saw was very nice, he thinks I may have anterior cutaneous nerve entrapment syndrome which can happen after surgery or after an injury that could've happened years ago from the research I did afterwards. He said he saw a patient  a couple of years ago with the same symptoms as me and she was helped in the pain clinic and they put injections in the site of the most pain. Luckily I've got an appointment in a month for the clinic and he's written a letter to show the consultant his findings. I also got to have a stomach emptying test as he thinks my stomach isn't emptying too slowly hence some of my other symptoms.

I hope you've managed to clear up your uti that you had. take care xx

• Posted

I don't know your age but will assume "middle age".  When one is in their senior

years objectives change.  I am sure you know that everyone system is different

so with this in mind...you will Not know how surgery effects you until you have it.

The only advice I can give is: either get a Second opinion and/or when you cannot

function as you presently are...then the Only recourse would be surgery.

Take your meds and possbily change your Diet to low fat (No food over 5grs. NO red meats or other foods high in Iron e.g. cabbage and drink plenty of water...and try eating 5 small meals (not 3) per day...and walk if possible.  Good luck!!

• Posted

Please do not delay surgery because you are afraid of being in pain. There are far worse outcomes than pain. The gallbladder can burst giving a risk of sepsis and also you run the risk of jaundice also with risk of sepsis. Most cholecysyectomies are performed by keyhole surgery. I know four people who've had this done, three some years ago and one in February 2017 and all recovered well and are now pain free. There is a shorter recovery time than with open surgery. You will have painkillers to help post operatively. I was unlucky. I had jaundice, and was in danger of septic shock. I had to have open surgery and, worst of all, a small growth was found in my gallbladder on histology. This is very rare, but can happen because it happened to me. I am so glad now that I pushed for surgery. Within the month, I had to have a liver resection. The pain from both surgeries was little more than discomfort as they give you strong painkillers. I was up out of bed after the cholecystectomy after one day. I am 67. I am now thirteen weeks post op from the cholecystectomy and nine weeks from the liver resection and recovering well but will have to be monitored for five years. The most frightening thing for me was giving up control to have the general anaesthetic, but you come round and the dreaded gallbladder is out and that's a relief. Please don't delay.

• Posted

TRY BILE SALTS BEFORE DOING ANYTHING. Perhaps even an antispasmodic as well. If these don't give you any relief, I'd say get it done. Also, make sure to have a HIDA scan done to evaluate your gallbladder function

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.