Scared of surgery for removal of gallbladder plz help

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am suffering from gallbladder pain since one year , gallbladder attacks are getting more frequent now , my surgeon has scheduled me for surgery next month , I am very much scared of general anesthesia , can any help me out 😔

I am very young 29 yrs old , I am feeling soo depressed .

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Ayesha! I think the surgeons office will call a week before surgery to ask you pre op questions. You could tell them about your fears. Before surgery you will meet with the anesthesiologist and he could give you something in your IV beforehand. You'll be okay. Try not to worry about it right now. Hope you feel better.

• Posted

Thanks Cathycat , I will discuss with anesthesiologist about my fear of not waking up .

• Posted

Be sure to follow pre surgery instructions nor food after midnight, stop medications etc and be sure the dr and nurses have all your med history and concerns. General anesthesia is very safe in today's area and few experience no problems. 

Good od luck with GB surgery . Peace & Helling sent your way.

i was so glad to get rid of mine it was so much pain it was worth everything to prepare for and take your time getting back to doing anything and follow theu on the doctors restriction. You will be in good handS many GB are removed every day , I'm sorry you have to face this, no surgery is very pleasant but it's for a better quality of life for you  with no more GB ATTACKS.

• Posted

Thanks Hope4cure for making me feel better , I m glad you have positive experience to share ,

Yea gallbladder is affecting quality of life , I am sick every week , I am doing this for my kids , so I can look after them.

• Posted

I have to get my GB removed in a week or so I'm nervous but don't have a choice because this pain ect is effecting my entire family, getting put to sleep isn't bad today's anesthesia is safe and sound, it's a quick surgery, so it's like how you sit on couch and dose off for a quick second it will be ok trust me.

• Posted

Thanks Jerome , wish you good luck for surgery , please report how it goes after surgery
  • Posted

Hello Ayesha1234

I am 55 and just had my gallbladder removed 2 weeks ago. I too was very nervous for many reasons. 1) I have so many allergies to pain meds that they postponed my surgery last minute to decide what to use. 2) Big fear of not waking up because they considered me high risk due to I have sleep apnea.

I can tell you the surgery went just fine! They said I did stop breathing with my sleep apnea during surgery numerous times but because I had a breathing tube I started right back up. And I didn't know it even happened. I had no bad reactions to the pain meds.

Today I eat whatever I want, although smaller amounts because for some reason I get full faster. No pain when I eat anymore or pain in general. It is amazing! I suffered with so much pain prior to surgery I was afraid to eat anything!

I wish you well on your surgery!! It was the best thing for me and you might find, like I did, you feel better than you have in very long time! Good luck!

• Posted

I think thats the worst part.. Always second guessing what to eat because you never know whats going to trigger an attack.. and if it does.. Is this going to be the attack taht causes damage..  I to am scred of surgery but its getting to the point that living like this , well isnt even living...
    • Posted

That's good to hear you are doing good , thanks so much for sharing ur story , it gives me courage to face it with confidence .

• Posted

have been told i have 1 gallstone 1cm in size I been having bad nausea i even vomit right after eating a couple of times I been having upper center stomach pain gas lower back pain everyday its worse at night is that a sign of a bad gallbladder? I'm schedule for a HIDA scan soon to see if my gallbladder functioning right I just wanted more info

• Posted

Hello Denise

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner but I had to go out of state for a family emergency. I did not have most of the symptoms you described but I also did not have stones. I had multiple polyps in my gallbladder. The biggest symptom I had was horrific pain right side just beneath my rib cage. And especially after I ate. Sometimes it would go around into my back. I have an ulcer that would cause pain in the center of my stomach so sometimes it was hard to tell what was going on. Since my gallbladder has been removed I really don't have pain anywhere anymore. I hope your HIDA Scan gives you more answers!

• Posted

Hi, Ayesha,

You will probably receive the anesthesia through an IV.  Please try not to scare yourself.  Things usually go really well and the operation is over quickly.  Having any time of surgery can be scary, I understand.  

Consider what it was like in times past when anesthesia was not available.  Many people suffered in great pain and doctors could not do much to help them.  

Try to get support from your family and friends.  And, we're all here for you!  Let me know how you get on! xxx

• Posted

Thanks Lynda

I am feeling better, my anxiety has got down as well .

Everybody on this forum is so caring ,

I appreciate everybody helping me comming out of fear of surgery

• Posted

I 1000% understand where your coming from. I will be having Gallbladder surgery myself around October 12th (if not sooner) I have been driving myself and my wife nuts with the same fear. Those damn “what ifs” People say, “ just relax” don’t think about it” You’re be fine” And such. But I understand none of those things help much. They mean well and it’s easy for them to say. However it doesn’t help what is your head. I have been trying to deal with it like this. There is more of a chance of dieng on the way TO THE HOSPITAL then when going under. I also think this way..  How many people do I know who had surgery..  (over 100) How many do I know that died or woke up during surgery (0). That’s pretty good odds. I also understand that surgery might kill me . If I was going to say I know I’ll be fine, I’d be lying , because I don’t know. I do however know that without the surgery , this will get worse and worse UNTIL IT KILLS ME. So it’s a choice of a might (with very limited chances) to a WILL..  Also if the gallbladder gets worse, there ismore chances of complications and therefor more mortality chances. So its best to get it done while it can be controlled. I actually started this 6 years ago.. Went on low fat diet.. and it held me out until July.. WHEN I GOT MONO!   So I not only have to have surgery but I have to have it while recovering from MONO ! The thing is , when it’s my time, it’s my time. I cant control it, I cant stop it, I cant fix it. So why worry about it right?  Yea I know easier said then done.. If you want my email let me know. It may be nice for both of us knowing there is another person who feels the same and understands , and looks like we may be having it during the same time.. So we can go thru this together. Let me know..   I wish you the best !
    • Posted

Hello Vic39330

I agree with u , we can't live like this , I can't eat just Bcoz of fear of gallbladder , where do u reside , are you in Ontario ???

I am from hamilton , I will be sooner going for surgery probably next week .

• Posted

No I am in NC. May be a good thing yours is getting moved up. My attacks have been under control. Ive been on very low fat, under 15 g per meal and closer to 8g if I can help it. Been eating small meals too. Just sick of worrying about when the next attack may hit. Eating low fat isnt easy either. Seams everything has fat, and the worse your GB gets the less fat it takes to trigger. My last one lasted over 5 hrs and was triggered from fish and salad. Granted i ate more then I should have. Thats where I learned eat small amounts. Problem is I am STARVING!  Ive dropped almost 5 lbs in a month . While I can afford to loose a couple lbs , its not like Im huge.. (6'2 and 196) . Also doesnt help that I am the ONLY income in my house. Wife is waiting for disability hearing which could take up to another 8-12 months and I run a small construction company. Going to be outta work for a few weeks after. Otherwise id try and move mine up. Try and keep a positive mind..  That's whats keeping me going 

• Posted

I am also trying to eat low fat and small meals but problem is u never know when gallbladder acts up 😢, last Sunday was Terrible attack lasted 15 hrs , it was night mare , I felt so weak after that attack ,I phoned my surgeon he promised me to operate in first week of October , fingers crossed , it's not easy to live like this , I have two small children to look after , I am

Hoping for best , everybody on this forum is so helpful , they have made me feel so much better .

• Posted

Yea 15 hrs is way to much to deal with. My youngst is 13. I coul not even imadgine trying to take care of anyone while an attack was going on . I drove myself to the ER on the last two and it was insane. They wanted to take mine that day but I had been contracted to fix a guys roof that was leaking the next day. I couldnt let him wait. So I went home . Surgan set up OCT 5 to meet wth me and scedule this thing . So I am fguring about a week after. In one way I look forward to it and in another I'm terrified.. But like I said.. It has to get done

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.