Scared of surgery for removal of gallbladder plz help

Posted , 13 users are following.

I am suffering from gallbladder pain since one year , gallbladder attacks are getting more frequent now , my surgeon has scheduled me for surgery next month , I am very much scared of general anesthesia , can any help me out 😔

I am very young 29 yrs old , I am feeling soo depressed .

1 like, 41 replies

41 Replies

Prev Next
  • Posted

The thought of surgery is very scary!  So many 'IF's'.  Just tell your doctor and your anestheologist and they will make sure to aid you in that department.  I hope that all goes well for you!  Hit us up again and let us know how it all went, please  I had the 4 small incisions made in me for my removal.  Which are you havinga/

• Posted

Hi ayesha , i am 32 y.o i just had my GB removed last friday 23 Sept 2016. I first got the attack in Jan 2015 when i was pregnant. Went to ER and they said i just have this pregnancy pain. Then it never came back at all until last two weeks on the 14 sept 2016 . Went to Er they gave me painkillers . Then it went away for a week and came bAck on the 21 sept 2016 disnt go to Er i just took the painkillers they gave me earlier but didnt work and was in agony for like 6 hrs until i manage to sleep it off. The pain came back the next day and i went to er again and dis time they suspect gallstone but asked me to come the next day bc it was already late night radiology is close.

They asked me to prepare not to eat at least 5 hrs before the scan. Went back to Er first thing in the morning 23 sept 2016. Straight to do the scan and yes gallstones is there.

They said my gallbladder already look a little abnormal due to gallstone something like my gallbladder line is getting thicker. Straightaway they book an OR for me.

By 2pm im in the OR, by 230pm i was put to sleep. And by 415 pm im already in the healing room and they woke me up gently.

I chosed the open surgery than the keyhole as my surgeon said there will be less complication n infections after surgery whereby keyhole surgery there will be at least 8% of infections after surgery. but the healing time for op3n surgery will be longer. But pls discuss this option with your own surgeon first yeahh.

Anyway by monday the 26 sept 2016 i was being discharge already. Everything seems fine so far. No problem peeing. No problem with bowel movement altho it took me 4 days to get my first BM hehe. I eat almost anything eg spicy food, chinese food etc like usual but smaller amount bc i feel full easily.

Anyway im at home rigt now recovering. Wounds getting better. On antibiotics and pain killer but i stop takkng the painkillers alreadysmile A little bit sore hear and there but its all good. Can walk but not too fast. My next follow up appt will be on monday.

Just sharing you my experience, it happen so fast for me but so far i dont regret itsmile

I also have the fear of not waking up and told my anesthesiologist right before he put me to sleep .bc it happen so fast for me like all in the same day i wasnt prepared at all. He said all those nice thing that i want to hear at that time and assure me that he will be th3 one to wake m3 up after the surgery is done. And yes. He did smile

At least you have the chance to prepare for the surgerysmile i didnt i called my mom only after the surgery. She was shocked like crazy haha

Anyway im pretty sure you will be fine too. Let us know after your surgery. Good luck.

• Posted

Dina glad to hear about your recovery , well wishes sent your way ,

I m in so much pain , I had several attacks since one year , I hope everything goal well , I will talk to my anesthologist about my fear of not waking up , it's soo scary for me , thanks for making me feel better .

Keep posted how things are going with u .

• Posted

If I told you don't worry I would be telling you a lie, but it will be alright, I'm having my GB removed in a few days. At first I was very very nervous but I couldn't keep living like this, always in pain bloating 24/7 no energy it's been going on for years . Just ready to get it over with, don't get me wrong I'm still nervous. Once you get on operating table it will be over before you know it. I'll keep you posted after my surgery.

• Posted

have been told i have 1 gallstone 1cm in size I been having bad nausea i even vomit right after eating a couple of times I been having upper center stomach pain gas lower back pain everyday its worse at night is that a sign of a bad gallbladder? I'm schedule for a HIDA scan soon to see if my gallbladder functioning right I just wanted more info

• Posted

have been told i have 1 gallstone 1cm in size do you know if thats a small size , I been having bad nausea i even vomit right after eating a couple of times I been having upper center stomach pain gas lower back pain everyday its worse at night is that a sign of a bad gallbladder? I'm schedule for a HIDA scan soon to see if my gallbladder functioning right I just wanted more info

• Posted

Denise I also got 1 cm gallstone and it's hurting me badly , I am nauseated all the time bloating , attack comes on after eating oily food , my surgeon has scheduled me for surgery next week , I will keep u posted how it goes . But you should talk to your doctor about surgery , if it's bothering you a lot .

I am

Mom of two small children so it's hard for me to take care of them while I am sick every other day .

• Posted

I'm schedule to have a Hida Scan done on today so that will let me know if surgery is needed keep me posted and good luck I'll keep you posted also

• Posted

Start on LOW FAT. I have a 12 MM stone so that is about the same as 5/8 Inch roughly.. Im not into metrics but Id say that is 1.2 cm? Most times they wont pass is what my surgen said. Kinda good news since it can get stuck and make it 100x worse. Being said it will just sit and get bigger...  SO GB needs to come out. I am VERY careful what I eat. Fruit snacks are your friends..  NO FAT.. I try and keep fat under 10g per serving and eat SMALL servings..  If you fill yourself your going to hurt. IF YOU HAVE A STONE , HIDA SCAN DOESNT MATTER..  Could even trigger an attack. Looks like your joining us on the surgery squad my friend..  I know it sucks but it's gotta get done..

• Posted

Hi Ayesha,

please try not to worry. The op is nothing to be concerned about. The IV anaesthetic will take care of everything. When you come round your abdomen will look quite scary as there will be multiple incisions but most are small and will heal quickly. The largest cut will be around the top of your naval - this one took the longest to heal for me as it was right on the waistband of my jeans.

I had the surgery on a Tuesday and by the Friday the pain had reduced to a level where I didn't need pain relief. WIthin 2 weeks all the stitches were out and I was on the way to recovery.

Aftre the op, ifyou feel the need to sneeze or cough, get hold of a cushion and press it firmly on your abdomen - it will reduce the pain when coughing.

Most of all, take time to recover. OK, I was back to normal life within 2 or 3 weeks but it may take longer. Every one is different. Now, I am 5 years post surgery and I still think it was the best thing to do as I have felt so much better.

Best of luck.

L

• Posted

I had my gallbladder surgery this morning. I feel alot better already I'm almost in tears it's like I'm a new person. I was very very scared at first but I can honestly tell you it's very overated I know it sounds crazy but it was a piece of cake trust me. Don't worry so much it's not as bad as you think trust me. It's slot of people on these forums are over reacting don't get caught up in it. I know every person is different but trust me it's not as bad as they say it is.

• Posted

I am glad u had it removed today , wish u speedy recovery , I am going for surgery very soon .
  • Posted

Hey Guys , I had my gallbladder removed yesterday , everything went well , I did have some waking up problem but they handled it very well , i m doing good , just lil sore .
    • Posted

Great news!  Please take care of yourself and let us know how you get on!
    • Posted

That's great! I'm glad you doing fine if you don't mind answering a few questions I go in on the 18th to have my surgery how long did the whole procedures took arriving there and discharge? What food did you eat in the first couple of days after surgery and What was your pain level after surgery?

• Posted

Mine went out yesterday!!!  No issues wking up..  IM KINDA SORE
    • Posted

I was due at hospital originally at 8:30 am, but they changed to 12:15. I got there at 12 and stewed for 15 minutes. I had told anesthesia they day before I was gonna need good drugs and they had them for me IMMEDIATELY. I got undressed, got IV, signed papers and was given Versed. It helped a little.  They then moved me to 3:30 and then 4:30. SO I got extra doses or versed. I got another cocktail right before being wheeled out. I recall being in OR. Got on table, they told me take 10 long breaths from the mask..  I took 8, and he moved mask.. I grabbed it back and took 2 more. Next thing I know I was waking up..  It was like blacking out..  Not much pain.. a bit fuzzy.. Took 90 minutes. GB was infected. This was yesterday.  Went home soon as I peed. Not much pain yesterday. Today, Im sore. Ive eaten fish , chicken and a TV tray..  Very SORE.. I use a pillow to keep pressure on stomach. Becareful bout holding yourself up with your abs. I just tried from typing and im hurtimg..  gonna lean back in chair.. I did notice urine stream is slow..  drink a lot! Neck is stiff.. not sure why..  pain pills suck!  Make me jittery and itchy/nautious. Cant sleep with them..we’ll see what tomorrow brings..
    • Posted

Great description thru the whole process from soup to nuts. 
    • Posted

day 2.. still very sore. belly button area expecially.. still peeing slow, but least i am going..  still doing this without pain pills. almost took one last night but wanted to sleep..  dee[ breaths HURT, caughing is the worst thing on earth~ !!!  my best friend is my pillow right now.. readdy for this to be done and get bacl to life
    • Posted

Hi Vic,

Good for you!  Though you're in pain, you're doing great, and managing what you need to manage.  

Remember that you've had major surgery though the incision is small and it will take time to heal.

Let us know how you do!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.