Scared of switching from citalopram to fluoxetine :-(

Posted , 9 users are following.

Suffered from anxiety and depression all my life but forced out my job of 6 years due to bullying , ended up having a breakdown . Been on citalopram for 7 years now on 40 mg but slipped into a deep depression this past year, can't go outside , don't want to see anyone , can't sleep due to racing thoughts so catch up in the day . Feel so tired , depressed , can't focus, cry most days. Went to docs this wk and been given Prozac , straight switch but I'm terrified of side effects as had pretty rough ride starting out on Citalopram . So worried about the withdrawal off citalopram and side effects of Prozac . Part of my anxiety is with taking medication and feeling funny straight after ! Please someone help ! Need to start the Prozac Monday as citalopram run out and so want to get well again but so scared 💊😢

Thanks for listening everyone and sorry for long post xxx

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Hi everyone , I've decided to stay on my Cit for now as I feel I didn't get the best advice fromy doctor who suggested a straight switch and as I'm waiting for therapy on the NHS I'm not in a great place mentally to withstand the side affects of switching meds .I guess I have taken the cowards way out lol ! Can anybody give advice on combatting the sheer exhaustion on these meds as I'm currently on 40 mg CIT and feel so tired all day , I've tried switching from morning to night to take the tablet but it doesn't make any difference . I have been on 40 mg around 6 months now and feel alot calmer apart from the tiredness which actually makes me feel more depressed as I'm unable to get much done or exercise like I did pre-meds .

Thanks in advance ,

Lou

• Posted

Hi Louise

I've been on citalopram in the past. It seemed like it took a while for things to level out. I took it at night as it seemed to make me tired as well. Now I'm feeling the way you are now that I've switched to fluoxetine. I'm normally a stay outside all day and work on things around the house but totally different while adjusting to these. Ive read my bible where it talks about a season for everything. The word season brings hope in that it will pass and we will feel well again. Like lookingonwards told me it tests your patients for sure. But hold on hopefully we're close. God bless.

• Posted

Hi Danny

Thank you for taking time to respond .

How comforting you draw reassurance from your Bible and yes there is season for everything . Life is a journey sometimes bumpy and sometimes smooth but I guess it's how we deal with the journey that counts .

I can be my own worst enemy as I tend to worry and over analyse everything which is why I couldn't pluck up the courage to switch from citalopram to the Prozac. Also I think I would have preferred a taper rather than a straight switch . Doctors in the UK here don't seem to be knowledgeable about changing meds which just makes me more anxious.

Please keep us updated how you are doing and please stay strong , you will get there in time . Reading your comments I so wish I had the courage to switch to Prozac but my anxiety got the better of me .. yet again :-(

Kindest Regards

Louise :-)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.