Scared of tapering off

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi all

I’ve been on this medication due to major adrenaline and hart palpitations. But due to the side effects I want to stop taking it. 

But now I’m reading that the withdrawal with give me more anxiety and hart palps?!?!?

I don’t think I could take more than I already had sad

Feeling scared and upset. 

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Don't know until you try.  I've never taken more than a very small dose of the beta blockers, but I have been able to taper off and stop it, but apparently I don't even need it anymore either.  If you still need it, well, I guess just do it slowly and see how it goes.

• Posted

I’m just an already very anxious person. And this is making it worse for me. But thank you for the reply smile
    • Posted

Am in same position as you...Am very anxious person too. Have been weaning off 1.25gm Bisoprolol since around Feb this year and still finding it extremely hard. Have lots of night palpitations and panic attacks but l think they are lessening slowly. But l find the best way to go on is to do it at a snail's pace a tiny bit of a time. The anxiety is awful at times, l won't lie to you cos that isn't helpful in the long run, but have a go and take it easy. We'll get there in the end. Good luck.

• Posted

Hi Christine,

Thanks for your reply. I’ve only taken 17 pills of 50mg  Metoprolol over the past 2 months. At first I took them only sporadically ( doc never told me to take them at the same time everyday) and in the past 2 weeks or so I have been taking them daily. 25mg before sleep and 25mg morning.  Cause that’s when my palps are usually the worse. 

But I hate the side effects so I wanna stop. 

I’m just worried about the possible anxiety worsening cause I already suffer tremendously from anxiety ( that’s why I was given them in the first place). 

I just wonder how long I should taper off?

• Posted

I don't think there is any given length of time for tapering off any drugs. It depends on the individual. If, like me you are nervous just go extra slow and take your own time. Its not a race at the end of the day.

• Posted

Yeah true. But I also don’t want to put it in my body longer than necessary. My doc says just stop taking it so she’s not giving me a taper off protocol. 

Do you kinda know what the norm is?

• Posted

Again,no time limit. Depends on person involved. Why not think of a time scale that would make you feel is reasonable for you and go for that? Say 3-4 months? You can always go longer if you find yourself panicking and slower. Whatever is comfortable with you I'd say. Long as you reach your personal goal the time scale is immaterial. You can do it.

• Posted

Just take the first small step and see how it goes, then you can estimate how long it might take.

You might even find that when you get to a smaller dose it still helps but the side effects vanish.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.