Scared stiff...

Posted , 10 users are following.

I had a TKR of my left knee in Jauary 2016 and am scheduled for TKR of my right knee on 11 August 2016.  I know better what to expect this time around and are scared stiff of the prospect!  After the first TKR neuralgia plagued me for months and I had terrible back and hip pain because of it. I was so grateful to find this forum and the incredible people on it who made me realise I was not suffering alone.  Many people before me had gone through the same and much, much more and survived, healed and are doing well.  All of you who had more that one TKR, were you also scared (like your heart raced when you thought about it and your blood pressure increased) of the second or third operations or am I just being silly?  Before my first TKR I was calm and looked forward to the prospect of having a 'new' knee and being able to walk without constant pain.  Maybe it was because I didn't know what I was letting myself in for...

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Medical professionals make it sound like a walk in the park................we know better but, the end result....we get better even though it seems like an eternity. Like my wife who is in the advaning , debilitating stages of Parkinson's tell me when I get down, at least You have a chance of getting better, I'm just going to deteriorate and die. That puts me back on the right path pretty straight out.

• Posted

Hi OFG  . . wonder if you remember me?  I had my TKR January, 2015.  I often think of you, and your excellent advice to everyone . . . especially now that my husband has been diagnosed with early stage parkinsons's disease.  I hope you have overcome all the difficulties with the infection etc. and that your'e doing well . . perhaps even a game of golf or two?. I'm doing very well with the knee, although even after 20 months it's still stiffer than the other one. My problem now are both ankles, and thedoctor has told me to 'walk as little as possible' as the problem, osteochondritis, isn't likely to get better at my age.  Nice to see your name again!  All the best Valerie 

• Posted

Valerie....good to see for post. Sorry to hear of your husband's diagnosis. What an unpredictable, insidious disease. You will be learning a whole new set of patience and skills, I'm afraid. Now along with your new found problems it will surely add more bumps in the road. Even at that I feel fortunate when I consider many others. One of best friends from grade school days lost his wife Saturday. She was a few years younger than he and had a massive stroke 3 or 4 weeks ago. Death may have been a blessing in her case as She had lost he ability to communicate with no hope for recovery. He will be completely lost. Even though he had a doctorate in psychology and was a very experienced mental health professional. Never the same when it's you.

Best of luck working around your new set of difficulties.

BTW....no golf this year. Maybe after I turn 80 next year I'll be back in the swing.

• Posted

Meraai, I don't think you are silly at all. It was because I thought I would dread the second one so much that I chose to have both replaced in the same day. That and the idea of being laid up twice as long. I'm now 22 months post op and while it was a really rough ride, I am so thankful for how much less pain and more mobile I am; to the point where I would do it again if I needed to. You are still dealing with the recovery and most likely haven't been able to fully enjoy the benifits. I do know that most people find their second surgery and healing process of be different than the first - even if it was the same surgeon. Though mine were done on the same day, by the same medical team, one knee healed very differently. I remind you of this because there's a pretty good chance that this second surgery will be different. Maybe that will give you something to hold onto with some hope. On the bright side, because you do have some idea, you are more prepared with what to expect and know how to deal with some of the challenges. And best of all...you've got the great folks in this forum to walk through it with you. biggrin

• Posted

Hi Meerai

I dont think youre being silly at all - you have a healthy respect for what is, to be fair, a flipping tough procedure! I had my 1st on 6th March 2015, and my 2nd on  31st October 2015 - very similar timeline to youself. I have to say, I felt more confident going nto the 2nd, as I had prepard myself physically the best that I could, but that didnt stop me being scared, and it certainly didnt stop my tears in the car on the way to the hospital on the day of the surgery! I was so wound up that when I went for my Pre-op 4 days before surgery, my BP was so high that a jumped up HCA tried to cancel my surgery!!! (Id already spoken to my Anaesthetist about it an hour before and he said it would be fine!).

It all went fine, and there was such a difference in my recovery, especially in the first few days - all my hard work had paid off! 

I wish you all the very very best of luck, Im sure youll be fine. And remember, we're here, rooting for you and willing you on!

• Posted

Hi meraai, I had my left tkr done on 3.28 and had a relatively easy recovery once I was our of rehab with it but when I had my right done on 6.1 I had the opposite response. Ive had problems with my hamstring and had to go on muscle relaxers. It's taking me a lot longer to recover from it. I wasn't scared cause I had a great response with the 1st and when I told the dr he said not every surgery is the same. I'm going back to work finally on 9.1 but with restrictions and still can't do a lot of things myself. .still I'm glad I did it cause I was bone on bone. I wish u so much luck with your next surgery and a speedy recovery...hugs from orlando

• Posted

Hi Meraai!

It is normal to be apprehensive!??

Try this:

Breathe deeply and imagine yourself feeling SO MUCH BETTER because you have TWO good knees again.

If you a believer, put yourself in God's hands and ask Him to carry your burden. He is SPECTACULAR at calming us and giving us the strength that we need!

I will pray that you will feel calm and strength as you head to your next surgery!??

( Left Knee TKR June 2015 and Right Knee TKR October 2015)

• Posted

Be brave. If you are better than you were prior to tkr then that is why it's all worth going through! Get some courage from knowing you are not alone! Good luck !

• Posted

Meraii...you are a brave soldier.  I had a right TKR and am 9 weeks post op.  It has been the most awful experience of my life with pain.  I have had 3 abdominal surgeries, a kidney removed and two childbirths and have never had such pain, fatigue, insomnia  and discomfort for such a long time.  I have friends who had the surgery and they don't remember all the things I was talking about.  Also, they had it in their 60's and I am 73 and in good health.  Everytime I think I turned the corner with the pain and bending, something else came up.  Now at 9 weeks, I have to say I finally feel that maybe in the next few months I won't feel like I have a rock in my knee.

Scared isn't the word...especially when they wheeled me into the OR before the anesthesia.  It looked like the hardware department at Home Depot.  Then I was put out an 9 weeks later finally got a bend of 115...but the PT is torture.  I should have preficed all of this by telling you I cannot take narcotics so I weaned off Tramadol and now I am taking a homeopathic remedy with tumeric for pain.  

Good luck, I am sure you will do fine and please don't belittle yourself.  Not many people would do what you are doing and those are the ones who are limping around and looking older then they are.

• Posted

Hi Meraai .. I'm now 10mths post op with my first TKR and have to admit it's been one hell of a rough ride that my 2nd op has been cancelled twice so am waiting for a new date.  Like yourself I was fearing the next op but thanks to this forum and a change in my attitude as it has to be done .. I've realised I wasn't prepared enough for what issues etc and the timeline of up to 18mths for a recovery and to feel as normal as I would.  Still don't like my knew knee but it's not going to stop me from getting my 2nd as with both being as bad as each other the surgeon just chose one to do first unfortunately due to the other knee being as bad that has being a hinderance also with my recovery so I'm keeping positive that with the next op I'll be able to do all the exercises needed.  I'm just waiting on a darn bursitis to heal b4 my next one is booked in.

Good luck and you'll be fine this forum is the best thing I found, so great to hear from other that have experienced what you're going thru smile

Cheers Tracey

• Posted

Thank you all so much for taking the time to reply and for reassuring me!  Although I knew all the things you are telling me I needed to hear it from someone else and it helped tremendously smile Oldfatguy, I am sorry to hear about your wife. It is humbling to hear the truth from someone who is suffering from an incurable disease while I, indeed, have the chance of getting better.  I respect all of you, especially the more senior people because recovery is more demanding for you ( I am 55). My issues are well  on their way to being sorted out and I am taking on board everything that all you brave people told me.  By next week this time the op will be over and I will be on my way to recovery. On the straight again!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.