Scared that I have MS! Chronic health anxiety sufferer!

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everyone this is my first post so I'll try my best. I have been suffering with anxiety (health anxiety mainly) for about 2 years. I have also picked up a drinking problem to cope with the anxious feelings. (I know that does NOT help but that's somthing I'm handling with a therapist and my doctor) Anyways, I had an MRI done for my migraines and facial numbness. I have scattered non specific white spots in the scans. My neurologist told me this is very common with migraines. But I am absolutely terrified that I have MS and my body is tricking itself into thinking I do. Examples- I feel so tired, sometimes numbness in my face, leg and arm spasms when I'm laying down, head aches, body aches, etc. was wondering if anyone has ever went thru this and if I should be worried about MS? My white spots do not fit the criteria for MS but my anxiety is saying YES THEY DO!! 

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi d910  Welcome to the Forum

I have MS and I can tell you that the non-specific white spots in the MRI can very well be from the

migraines.  For right now, I suggest keeping a journal with the date, and the symptom, and how long it lasts.  Please keep seeing your therapist, it is a good step in the right direction!  You know and understand that you have anxiety. Just focus on getting that under control with medication, and therapy.  It's like one step at a time, so you don't get overwhelmed with so many different thoughts.

I also say congratulations to you on taking steps to control your drinking.  Find a good support partner that you can call at anytime that you feel you need to drink.  Remind yourself that you are in control and you have the power inside of you to just say No, and mean it.  Don't keep any hidden in the house, garage, get rid of it. Keep it out of sight so you won't be tempted.  

Now in about 6 months, check your journal. If you see other symptoms, then talk to your neurologist

again.  Another repeat of the MRI could be done as well as the lumbar puncture to check for O bands.  Let's try to be positive and hope that you don't have MS.  You take care and Best Wishes

• Posted

Thank you so much for your reply. I am 23 and have googled symptoms and such and scared myself! Google is my enemy. I've been thru recent traumatic family issues and such that contribute to my anxiety and I hope it's all just anxiety related. Fingers crossed. The journal is an awesome idea, I will start that tomorrow. 

• Posted

You are very welcome my friend.  Keep me posted of drop me an email if you'd like.

I keep a journal myself and it really helps.  You can see times that were tough, and you can

see that you made it through!!  I think you're a strong person, and that you will make it.

Never give up!  

• Posted

Oh wow thanks maybe I will email you. You are very kind thank you. 
  • Posted

Hi there.

I am 30yo and had a brain mri in 2013 (age 26) due to cluster headaches. The scan showed scattered hyperintensities (lesions) in the perventricular region.

About a month ago i developed tingling in my hands and feet so went to mt dr who ordered another MRI. The radiographer compared the new images to the ones from 4 years ago and while theres still multiple lesions, there arent any 'new' or 'active' ones.

So like you, i dont know what to think anymore.. in awaiting a neurologist appt.

I also have something called POTS (Postural orthostatic tachycardia syndrome) and MS can be one of the causes.. so im terrified.

Just wanted to say i know how u feel. Do u have a follow up with neurology?

• Posted

Hi Lauren

I have MS and many other medical conditions, too many to list ~ lol

What I want to say to you is that you have to face your fears, head on, and fight back.

Believe me, I understand how much stress you are feeling with not knowing what is going on with your

body.  I try to picture it as an attacker.  What I mean is, if something is attacking my body, I'm going to do all that I can to find out, what it is. Then I can deal with it, with medication or therapy and at least put my mind at ease.  Knowing is half the battle.  Your neurologist may want to order a lumbar puncture to check your

spinal fluid and serum for "O" bands.  This is another test to look for MS.  I'd like to help you Lauren, so that you can overcome your fears.  If you have any questions, I'll be glad to reply.  You're still Young, focus on the positive things in your life.  I have my vision so I see the beauty of the sunrise and sunset each day.

I have my hearing, so I listen to my favorite music which really lifts me up!  Everyday is not always easy for me, but I will never give up and neither should you.  Keep asking questions until you find the answers.

You are not alone in your battle, there are a lot of good people on this site here.  You hang in there.

Take Care and keep us posted.  Best wishes to You Lauren  cool

• Posted

Hi ! Yes I do have another MRI scheduled. My neurologist told me that he has no clicnican suspicion of MS and to go on living my life but with my lovely anxiety I saw the radiolist report stating MS can not be entirely excluded so I went into panic mode. Mind you, the report also said that my white matter spots are extremely common with migraines (which I have) but that wasn't enough for me. So I asked for another MRI and my neuro only agreed to keep my anxiety at bay. He told me it'll give me a piece of mind. He is telling me he's absolutely certain we will not see any changes but better safe then sorry. Plus I can hardly sleep due to my anxiety from this. 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.