Scared that I have premature Peripheral Artery Disease

Posted , 4 users are following.

To start this off, I'm 18 years old. My symptoms probably started when I was between 14 and 16 but I don't recall for sure. My dad was diagnosed with Peripheral Artery Disease in his early to mid 50s, I wish I could remember the exact age, but it seemed a little early than the general age people get it.

I don't know of any other family members that have had it.

I've had my legs get sore when I walk for long periods since I was really young. I don't think that was PAD then because I really was too young at that point. But in my teenage years I started getting other symptoms that really concern me.

1. Cramping in my feet when I walk for long periods. This symptom comes and goes, and I have had it when at rest as well, but it usually happens after exercise. Sometimes it's just in one foot, sometimes it's in both. I've been having this today, but only on the left side.

2. When I press on the skin on my feet and legs, it takes 1-3 seconds for the color to come back, and I'm pretty sure it's supposed to come back instantly.

3. This one is the one that's caused this massive HA flareup and the one I'm the most concerned about. Just today I noticed that I have horizontal grooves in my toenails on both sides.

The ones on the left (the same side as the foot cramps) seem to be a little worse than the ones on the right. I've read (yes, I know, I shouldn't be googling things but it's too late to go back now) that these are often indicators of serious systemic diseases, and one of them is PAD.

I do have other things that could possibly be causing the Beau's lines- I have eczema, severe anxiety / stress, and might have IBD although I'm less certain of that one. I also may possibly have anemia but I haven't had that checked by a doctor so I can't say for sure.

Based on these symptoms and my dad's history of PAD, should I be worrying about this? Thank you in advance for your responses. I'm really scared right now.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi there,

i have PAD but im in my 50s. they told me that the build up in my arteries would have taken a very long time and although you might be at risk, it would seem unlikely. i have other significant heart issues so if your dad had other issues, it mighht be worth chatting them overn with your doctor. i dont know what your symptons suggest but you might be a little early for PAD? speak tp your doctor, im sure they can put your mind at rest.

• Posted

Focus on your mental health and keep that in check then everything else will fall into place.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.