scared that i might have tongue cancer :(( pls help

Posted , 2 users are following.

i'm 18 years old and for awhile now ( i really can't remember how long), i've been having this pain under my tougue on the right side. i don't remember if the pain was constantly there or went away and came back, but i felt it today and looked at it, and saw a tiny tiny white spec where the pain was coming from. i googled it and it said that sores or anything that don't heal are more likely to be oral cancer, and that got me worried. i don't smoke nor drink or anything, but i'm super stressed out rn.

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

first of all, the things that you read online always give worst case scenario about everything! At your age and the fact that you don’t smoke or drink, tongue cancer would be extremely low. It mostly pertains to people who smoke and smoke heavily for many years. they don’t tell you that on Google.

People get those little white specks on their tongues all the time including myself. The majority of the time they are just little canker sores that go away on their own. You can gargle with warm salt water to help get rid of them. Canker sores are caused by bacteria or viruses. I’ve had more than I can count in my life. They can be a little painful. If they don’t go away in a reasonable amount of time you can just talk to your doctor or dentist about it but they should go away. Don’t overthink it. Good oral hygiene also helps keep them away. , As well as a healthy diet.

• Posted

Thanks for your response! I'm just worried because I remember having this for much longer than weeks. I can't remember how long, but it feels like it's been awhile 😦

• Posted

oh i’ve had them for quite a while. I actually started getting them when I was around eight or nine years old. im now in my 60s and very healthy. And throughout the years they would come and go. Mine lasted sometimes way longer than a couple weeks. tongue or mouth cancer is extremely rare in people who don’t smoke.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.