Scared that i will become blind

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi, so i am 14 years old and my vision is at -4.25 currently and i'm afraid i'll become blind the last time i went to the doctor was during January. But the doctor said that my prescription did not change that much. But when i was playing a game the text seemed a little blurry and i was super worried. But i can read normal small text fine even farther away from my computer screen. I'm just super worried when i get older i will become blind

0 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

I would not worry about going blind(easier said than done). Yes your prescription may change or worsen as you age but there will be glasses or contact lenses that you will be able to see clear out of. Also we all develop some form of a cataract when we are older(Im talking much much older than you) but if vision becomes bad enough they can do cataract surgery and also correct a lot of the prescription. There is also possibly lasik, which you would not want to do before you are 20-21(they want your eyes to be stable beforehand). Do not worry! There are glasses, contacts, lasik, lots of solutions.

• Posted

It's likely that when you play video games for a period of time you forget to blink causing your eyes to become dry and making letters appear blurry (this is very common for people who use computers all day long too). Be sure to drink plenty of water and take a break from your video game or computer every 30 minutes (just get up and walk around a bit). It's also going to be very important that you get annual check-ups and be sure to talk to your doctor about any concerns you might have as the years go by. My prescription is similar to yours and I'm 64, so try not to worry.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.