Scared the endoscopy missed something

Posted , 3 users are following.

I had an endoscopy 2 months ago for feeling like something was caught in my throat. The doctor told me after the procedure that everything looked good and he dilated my throat to see if it helps. So here I am 2 months later with the same feeling along with a sore throat and now white patches along my tongue. The "lump" feeling moves around in my throat, never just in one spot. I'm getting a referral to an ENT but that can take weeks. I'm a 37 year old female, non smoker and non drinker but I am obese and have been on meds for many years for reflux. should I be worried that they missed something or could a tumor have grown that quickly. I am seriously freaking out.!!

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

It sounds like your reflux might be giving you this trouble. The white spots might be worth checking out with your GP, and it might be something similar to a 'bolus' feeling of a lump in your throat. This could be something to do with nerve sensations.

The endoscopist will have done a report, and your GP may be able to have access to that. The report might mention Barrett's Oesophagus, which is readily visible and it is very unlikely that you would develop adenocarcinoma (70% of the UK oesophageal cancer cases) without going through that stage. Barrett's Oesophagus becomes a precursor to cancer but only when there is dysplasia present, something that would have to be checked with biopsies.Have you suffered from heartburn? This is the chest pain that is generated by the reflux, but gradually the lining of your oesophagus can change because of the acid to protect you from the pain (Barrett's Oesophagus). This is a significant indication.

Long term reflux is not 'normal', is not good health-wise, and is usually caused by something. This could be your obesity. So I suppose the question is whether you are able to do something to lose weight and become healthier that way. Your anxiety about your health could get channelled in that direction with some good potential outcomes. If weight loss programmes are not successful, then surgery sometimes becomes an option, depending on how obese you are.

The other aspect is whether the medication for your reflux is no longer working because something has changed in your body, or whether the medication simply needs reviewing. Again, this is something that your GP or gastroenterologist would advise you about. Try Gaviscon Advance in addition to your other medication, particularly at night.

• Posted

I've read a lot about esophageal cancer, and I've never read that it causes white spots on the tongue. I'm not a doctor, but is sounds like you may have developed thrush, which can be caused by some medications. It also sounds like the doctor needs to dilate your throat again. Of course, if you're upset that can also cause your throat to feel tight so try some relaxation strategies and see if that helps.

Good luck. I hope you get the help you need.

• Posted

Thank you both for your replies. I guess my fear isn't just esophageal cancer but oral cancer altogether. I'm being treated for thrush right now but today is day 4 of treatment and so far nothing has changed. It's definitely not lichen plants. My main fear is maybe the endoscopy missed a tumor on the back of my tongue. Waiting to see the doctor is the hardest part and provokes a lot of anxiety.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.