Scared to book in hernia operation, any tips for getting over the fear?

Posted , 2 users are following.

Hi to anyone reading this. First of all, I (38 male) realise how pathetic I sound and I know I should just pull up my big boy pants and get on with it, but I can't bring myself to call the doctors and start the proceedings of booking in my operation.

I was diagnosed with an inguinal hernia 2 years ago, and in fact have suffered with it a lot longer. it gets very uncomfortable in the right testicle/groin area while I drive around for work, and over the years it is progressively getting more uncomfortable. It's causing me no end of stress and depression! I'm so worried that it will end up causing worse issues down the line due to the inflammation, yet I still can't bring myself to book in the operation! I just start to over think everything and talk myself out if it. Ive only been in hospital once when I was about 6 years old, so I don't really know what to expect. I'm not great with needles and I am also scared of the anaesthetic and being put to sleep.

Does anyone have any words of advice or tips on how to get over these irrational fears and just get on with it?

0 likes, 1 reply

1 Reply

• Posted

Hi,

I had a femoral hernia repair a year ago, after about 2-3 weeks of recovery the change was enormous. I was the same, never been in hospital for an op by the age of 40, scared of needles etc. Just book it honestly you'll wonder whatever you were scared of. You may have a long wait anyway at the moment. I spoke to friends about being scared etc mainly of the general anaesthetic, one of whom is a nurse. Best advice, allow yourself a moment when it's OK to get scared and worry (this really should be when you're on the bed about to be put under). It's normal to feel like that at that point. Worrying or freaking out in the run up will do you no good. Box the feelings up and let them out at the last minute before you go under. I actually started crying! but the doctors were so nice, pretty sure it also meant they got on with it quicker to get me under! I was so elated when I woke up I was chattering non stop in recovery! Honestly I've been there, just do it!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.