Scared to death I have bowel cancer - 24 yo male

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hello guys, I have occasional intermittent back passage bleeding for 3 months. I also have constant stomach growling sounds, whether I'm hungry or not. I'm having intermittent soft flat stools, very foul-smelling but it usually goes back to normal after 2-3 days. I have recurrent anal itching and pain that often gets worse when walking for a long distance.

I first went to my GP 3 months ago, he performed a DRE which showed nothing except an "anal congestion" not sure if it means hemorrhoids or not... Anyway, my GP gave me some cream and stool softeners which indeed helped with the pain but not with the bleeding. The bleeding is typically bright red and seen on the toilet paper.

For the past 3 months, I had bleeding 3-4 times.

As the bleeding did not stop, I went back to my GP. He said there's no need to worry but in order to ease my mind, he referred me to a GI surgeon to check for hemorrhoids and give me treatment. Before going to the surgeon, he asked me to perform three FIT tests and blood tests. FIT tests came back negative and blood tests were perfect.

So about a month ago I paid a visit to the GI and he did not perform any DRE. He performed a really quick thirty seconds anoscopy which, in his own words "doesn't show much". That's where I started to be really scared, I really thought that my condition was benign and it was strictly a hemorrhoids condition. I don't really understand, because the anoscopy was extremely painful on the left side of my anus and when the GI touched the left part it was ultra painful. Then going to toilets after the anoscopy, I have blood on TP without having a bowel movement. So, I really thought for a minute that he identified the bleeding source. He said it wasn't so clear for him and I should come back if the bleeding comes back. But he wasn't really concerned as three FIT tests came back negative.

I was so scared that I took a picture of my own anus (which I'm a bit ashamed of), but anyway, here's what it looks like:

I mean, doesn't this looks like hemorrhoids to you ? I don't understand my GI ... It blue/purple lumps which are painful, isn't it the definition of hemorrhoids ?!

I'm planning to go back to my GP on Thursday so that he can refer me again to another GI, and maybe plan a sigmoidoscopy / colonoscopy to know what's really causing the bleeding...

Meanwhile, I'm just scared to death it's bowel cancer, I can barely go to work. Every time I go back home, I just lay on the couch crying thinking about cancerand death ...

I know Dr. Google is not your best friend as it can scares you but on the other hand, without Google I wouldn't have been to the GP, thinking it was just hemorrhoids and not really paying attention to it. But now that I've read that it could be cancer, I'm just petrified...

What do you guys think ? Does the picture suggest hemorrhoids ? I mean, the GI says he did not see anything but come on, just have a look at my anus, you can see blue / purple lumps around it. I most of the time have trust in doctors but here, I don't understand...

Any thoughts / opinion would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my English, I'm a non-native

0 likes, 26 replies

26 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

Ok now it's very scary ... I just had a bowel movement this morning and I saw a red streak in the stool ... I had lots of tomatoes and tomato sauce yesterday so I don't know if it's blood or food ... I have an appointment on Tuesday

• Posted

Does this look like blood to you ? That's when I had carrots / tomatoes and tomato sauce ...

• Edited

I'm on the same boat as you.

Bleeding after stool discharge

I had it on 3 different occassions. The first time I put it down to the mixed Beetroot, Apple and Strawberry juice I had at night. Their was pinkish liquid flow, not mere trace, but actually dripping out. I thought it was because of indigestion of the juice I drank, which was similar in colour. I remember having shrimp too, but not sure.

The second instance when I had shrimps, the next day I saw blood in toilet paper. I didn't even poop. I only went to urinate.

Now for the third time, I have blood on toilet paper after stool discharge. Not much like the first incident. I had eaten shrimps the other night. Anyone with similar symptoms?

P.S I didn't have shrimps continuosly. I had it weeks apart. I remember I only had blood after I had eaten shrimps the other day/night. This is what I noticed. So, that's why I'm putting it down on shrimps, but I'm not sure though.

The last time I noticed blood in poop was 30th January. After that my poop became dark brownish for a few days. My bowel movement also changed. From constipation to regular bowl movement. Lately my stool has turned yellowish. The first ejected stool is a lump with too many cracks whereas later the poop becomes mushy and soft and in bits.

So far no blood. But I spoke to Bowel cancer victims and I have the same diagnosis as them. I'm very worried about testing myself as I would be devastated if I had cancer. Also I don't have the money or insurance. I don't know what to do.

• Posted

How you doing friend? I had my appointment and doctor confirmed small hemorrhoid, but said that my issues are coming from somewhere else and my colon looks inflamed so I will have colonoscopy. Any updates on your situation?

• Posted

Hi Alex, I just got back from my colonoscopy, nothing was found. Biopsies were taken to check for microscopic colitis.

• Posted

Hello Guillaume,

glad that everything is fine. They suspect that I have some type of colitis as well based on the inflamattion. We will see. Keep in touch and please update after the biopsies.

• Posted

how did it go with all ye guys. I'm having similar symptoms and I don't even know where to start.

Found this forum and entered this discussion. severe heartburn after meals, constant bloating, bowel movements. too many scary symptoms than I can describe

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.