Scared to drop down to 3.75mg

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hey lovely Mirt friends! As some of you may know, I'm weaning off 30mg Mirtazapine. I've currently almost finished my two week phase on 7.5mg and it's going pretty well. Some days I've been anxious, but overall it hasn't been too bad - in fact most of the time I feel calmer than ever.

This Wednesday I plan to drop to 3.75mg. I'll do that for about two weeks, then I'll just reduce how frequently I take that dosage until I'm eventually off it. I'm kinda scared... do you think it'll be ok? I'm just needing reassurance I guess, lol. I think I'll be fine but you never know. I'm busy with university every day, and I work two days a week, so if it goes badly it's not like I can escape the world until I'm better.

Thanks, everyone! You've all been so kind and helpful on this forum cheesygrin

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

Just wanted to say well done to you. I myself hav just started on mirt about 3 weeks ago. Still have a lot of isues but it seems to be getting somewhere. FINALLY ! From what I can understand you are on the right track and I think you are doing an exelent job coming of mirt very slowly.I take it that you are coming off mirt in agreement with your doctor

Just think about how far you have !!Well done to you !!!

• Posted

Hey Bozzer, thank you! Yes, my doctor knows I'm tapering off it. I hope your journey on Mirt goes fairly smoothly! Best wishes.
  • Posted

Hi Sapphire

You sound like you're doing really well.  I guess the only people who can advise you are those who have already successfully wd'd and they are probably not on here, however, there are a few who have wd'd too quickly and therefore can advise differently.

I have been researching withdrawal for when I am ready (after the summer probably) and the best advice I've been able to find is on this forum!  From what I've learnt 7.5 downwards is a bit of a curve ball - now I'm not qualified or experienced (yet) to know the difference - but if I could offer up any advise at all it would be to say tread more slowly - you can read advice on here from people who have gone up and down.  Too quickly maybe a rocky road and then again you might be lucky.  

Norma 72045, Kathy 56977 & 1980 recommend the "CITA Protocol" method - you can google it - I think this is what I will try - or even slower actually.

Good luck, please let us know how you get on.

Best wishes

• Posted

Hi I am afraid the Cita protocol no longer operates due to funding issues. However you can get a lot of advice on here from people who have successfully come off the Mirt who did follow the cita protocol and are experts. Look on here at the withdrawal from mirtazapine threads, i am sure you will find great advice from people who know.Take care and best wishes.
    • Posted

Hi All,since the " Cita Protacol" has closed due to funding,another site you may find quite useful for withdrawing.

Try, mind.org.uk. There is some useful information for Mirtazapine on there.  Good Luck to you all.  

But always remember we are not all the same.One shoe don't fit all.

So you have always got to do what's right for you. My motto is 

Go slowly theirs no rush.

• Posted

Hi Carole

Thank you for your reply - you can download the booklet from CITA as I did it last week, there was a small charge - it seems CITA are still operating albeit only as a download. http://www.citawithdrawal.org.uk/

But thanks anyway.

• Posted

Hi Carole

Thank you for your reply; I downloaded it last week, there was a charge but a price worth paying £12 I think.  I replied earlier with their web site address but the moderator didn't allow it on the forum.

Best wishes.

• Posted

It just went for moderation rather than not being allowed and I replaced the given link with the one above.
  • Posted

I'd say you are doing very well, but I might warn you to be careful. I'm 4 weeks into withdrawing from 30 mg mirtazapine, and have been chipping a quarter off one of my 15 mg tablets every 3 days for the last 9 days but the withdrawal symptoms have been increasing this week. I can only describe it as the physical symptoms of anxiety (twitches, tingles, aches, dizziness) but without the anxiety! I actually feel very contented and happy, so it's really weird. I was on mirtazapine for 6 years, and I am very sensitive to any drugs, so I might be having more than usual problems. Everyone is different.

Keep it up - you're doing great!

• Posted

Your doing alright Sappire,have a little more confidence in yourself.

Its taken me a lot longer than you and I'm still only on 12.5mg.

But just take it at your own pace no need to rush,I thinkyour doing great.

Take care and all the best.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.