Scared to go to GP regarding my mental health

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi everyone, for a while now I've been wondering if I have some sort

2 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Whoops, sorry, I'm posting from my phone - did not mean to post there.

What I meant to say was that for a while now I've been very changeable in my mood, but persistently low spirited and having no confidence. I'm scared I am experiencing some sort of mental disease and I am terrified of going to my GP. I want it resolved though. All the things I normally like to do, I have no interest in. I feel isolated and alone, and have trouble falling asleep and then sleep late and have trouble getting out of bed. I haven't been to university this week at all because I can't will myself the energy to get out of bed, and I'm frightened. I need some advice, if anybody has any, as I need to go back to my lectures and keep on with my work. I've also been very snappish and moody, which has led to some disagreements with my flatmates, and This has simply made me feel more isolated and alone. I feel teary whenever I am on my own, and often cry in bed at night. I don't want to worry my parents. I'm not sure if I'm just feeling low and being pathetic or If this is something more. Please, any advice would be appreciated.

• Posted

Please go and speak to your doctor as soon as you possibly can. ( I apologize I forgot to say HELLO TO YOU )

It certainly seems as though you may be suffering from depression... you can be helped, be totally honest about how you feel, write... it all down if that is easier for you, you have you whole life ahead of you, you deserve to be happy and look forward to every single day... .

Your GP will understand , and may give you medication or refer you to a psychiatrist or psychologist. To give you further help if you need it... please make an appointment as soon as you can,, you can enjoy life once again, I wish you all the luck in the world... all the best young man, ...sincere regards, Deirdre xxx

• Posted

Ah I know, I'm just scared because my GP has known me my entire life. In reality I shouldn't be scared, since she discovered one of my long term conditions when no other doctor thought to look for it... But it's just quite a small community where I live. And I don't know what to say to her. How would I bring it up? Just tell her what I've said here? I don't know.
    • Posted

Yes just tell her what you have said here.

i can remember a GP I had years ago saying to me I was the last person he thought would suffer with post natal depression and threaten suicide, but he was really good about it, he just took his coat off  sat in my home and listened to me between the tears and all the crap I told him but that was the start of my recovery. Take a deep breath and make that appointment, and see her.

• Posted

firstly well done in thinking of going to the Doctor, now just take the next step and go. They will understand. My husband is like this and i can't get him to admit there is a problem never mind go to a GP.

So you are well on the way to fixing your problem, now just go to the GP

• Posted

It was a difficult step, but today I went and registered temporarily with a surgery here where I live for uni, and booked an appointment. Hopefully this will help. Thank you for all your support, it makes me feel better knowing there are kind people like you all out there.
  • Posted

Hi , yes just tell her all you have said on here xx she will not be shocked or disproving in any way ( she will have heard this many times before )..

Please don't worry, you can be helped, and you deserve to.... go either this afternoon, or on Monday morning...all the best wishes in the world, and big, big hugs to you... Deirdre xx

• Posted

Hi,  I suffered severe depression and was afraid to go to the doctors. I kept telling myself I was ok until one day it was like my brain had switched off and could not communicate.  I took a friend in with me she didn't say anything but was there for support.  Doctors won't mind you taking someone.  The first step is talking about it then the doctors, it won't disappear overnight it can be a slow process but you will get through it.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.