Scared to have this cardiac angiogram

Posted , 6 users are following.

has anyone had a ct angiogram? my cardio has ordered one although my echo was normal. she said echo only shows 70% of arteries and as i have high colesterol wants to see 100%. I am a bit wary about having this as i am asking if really necessary? i have ectopics as i have posted, and she wants to put me on a monitor for 2 months. Has anyone got any advice?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Please dont be scared of having an angiogram, it's a very simple procedure which will identify blockages that could be missed by other methods. My husband had what we now know was a heart attack on 1 May. He had presented at the Emergency dept of our local hospital a year ago with similar symptoms and others tests had not highlighted anything and he was sent home and told just to take one extra blood pressure med. This time thankfully they did an angiogram and it revealed he had blockages in three major arteries and a branch. Three months later he has had a quad bypass and is now home recovering. Without the angiogram, he might not be here! They inserted it through his hand/arm and he said although it was uncomfortable it was not painful. That one procedure saved his life.

• Posted

thanks for yr reply and so glad to hear all well with yr husband. I spoke with my gp this afternoon and she explained that an echocardiogram sees if blood is flowing thru arteries and can pic up major blockages but the ct angiogram is a more precise test as it can see all the arteries including the very small ones and she advised me to have it done due to the fact i have for many years have high colesterol. so am booked in for monday,

• Posted

If your doctor thinks any blockage not yet identified is probably a minor artery, then even if there is a blockage, it can probably be dealt with non surgically, ie meds or angioplasty, or at most a stent. Glad to hear you've got the angiogram booked so quickly, if my husband hadnt been admitted via the ER, he would have waited 6 - 8 weeks for an angiogram appointment. All good news for you. Good luck.

• Posted

Most seem to do it via the wrist nowadays as it just needs a band round it afterwards while the groin needs more pressure applied to it for longer with the patient laying still. I've had each.

• Posted

I think you mean angiogram - not echocardiogram. An echocardiogram shows the size, structure, and movement of various parts of your heart like the valves and the walls of the heart. But not the coronary vessels.

• Posted

My Husband's was via the arm. It takes a while to stop bleeding and aches for several days but no real issues. Amazed at how simple these procedures are these days.

• Posted

My first one via the groin only took ten minutes.

• Posted

Derek, I've had a number of IVP's done when I was younger as I only have one working kidney. Same thing, into the groin. Yeah, they've changed thing a lot since those days. Particularly to reduce the hazards. That femoral vein is huge. One time I finally asked the doctor if there would be any symptoms if I ended up with kidney problem (only one kidney) and he said yes. Needless to say that was the last time I had an IVP.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.