scared to suddenly stop propananol and go on bisoprolol as doctor suggests

Posted , 6 users are following.

ive been on the propananol for anxiety for years only on ten in the morning and ten at night mg that is,ive now got high blood pressure so the doc wants me to just stop the propananol and go onto 2.5mg of bisoprolol,im scared to do this but worried about the high bp

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I am surprised he does not just give you normal blood pressure tablets. After my husbands experience of suffering every side effect possible with this drug and making him very ill, I think it should be banned. Everyone has to make their own decision but, educate yourself by reading people's experiences on here. I personally would never touch a beta blocker, there are safer drugs.

• Posted

Hi May I ask why you say the beta blockers are dangerous. I am not disagreeing just interested. I am unhappy with cardicor myself. x
    • Posted

Hi Angela,

My hubby had a heart attack 21st feb he was put on loads of pills and 6 weeks later he had some more stents put in, he was great, felt really well, he had been walking since leaving hospital after the heart attack every day. About a week later the side effects from bisoprolol which is my main problem and the one he took started. Well he had had diarrhea since day one from it, then shortness of breath, dizziness, coughing, unable to go out walking. He suddenly developed an ectopic beat on his heart, on every other beat, the cardio rehab person said he had it before but it was occassional and not a problem, now it is dangerous and he is booked in to have a defribulator implanted next month. My problem is with bisoprolol because that has destroyed his health.

• Posted

Hi Linda I do not know the answer to your questions. Have u contacted a few pharmacists to get their opinion and so on? Has your dr suggested a referral to a cardiologist? The cardiologist may suggest ablation. Take care.x
  • Posted

I am currently being processed for medical retirement thanks to Bisoprolol, even though I have been off then for a year, the side effects remain. This drug has permanently ruined my life.
    • Posted

Hi Sorry to hear this.

​Mind my asking what exactly happened? Take care. 

• Posted

For a more in-depth account, just read the many posts I have made on the subject over the past year. 

In summery, as soon as I took Bisoprolol, I described feeling like a drunck zombie, I could no longer feel my lungs working, and I had to remember to breathe rather than it being automatic, it turned me into an old man overnight.

I therefore cut my tablets in half, I was on a small dose as it was.

I was found at work semi-consious, oxygen brought me around, but even after the oxygen my heart beat was only 42bpm, so wonder what it was before the oxygen?

Hospital told me to stop taking them which I did.

The symptoms however remained and were joined by new symptoms, all symptoms of a disrupted Autonomic Nervous System, which is what beta blockers do, they block adrenaline receptors in your ANS.

Took me nine months before I finally got somebody in the NHS to not fob me off and get me tested for the Dysautonomia I had been telling them all this time what was wrong with me, sure enough, a Nuerologist told me I indeed had Autonomic Instability, a five minute autonomic blood pressure test was all my GP's needed t do to see something was wrong.

Trouble with Dysautonomia, its is incurable, though symptoms come and go, my breathlessness and low oxygen count is fine at the moment, but the dizzyness and off-balance feeling are worst.

• Posted

Didn't really demotivate me as I live alone so have to push myself else nothing would get done. Yes, some peripheral such as feeling as if I have just been beaten on the soles of my feet and tingling up my legs, but mostly it is automatic systems of the body not maintaining the correct balance between fight/flight and rest/digest.

• Posted

Unfortunately I only have bad views on bisoprolol - it’s of course your decision however please check my discussion on this site. My Dad suffered terribly because of this drug. Anxiety can be dealt with in so many other ways so I’d urge you to look at other options. Good luck. 
  • Posted

Don't know what to do,im on a mess, really morbidly obese need to lose about 8 stone and im now 53 years old all stacked against me,i wonder of I can some how reduce my weight ...again...will this sort the blood pressure so I dnt need to take them...but of course this mammoth task will take some time will I be safe not taking the pills -don't know what to do,sorry for going on but don't really have people to talk to

• Posted

You sound really down Linda, unfortunately there really is no magic pill. I lost 3 stone by doing the following eating breakfast, lunch and evening meal all home cooked fresh food, all food groups as nothing is bad and all needed, I have my main meal on a side plate so I do not overeat and walked as much as I could. Meal replacements do not work because you put all the weight back on when you start to re-eat, I had a small treat some days otherwise you miss it. Once you get in the swing of it, becomes easier. I hope you find a way that suits you, it eill be worth it. Good luck.
    • Posted

i I have lost a lot of weight several years ago so know how u are feeling. Firstly set yourself a target of losing one stone at a time otherwise you will feel overwhelmed. If you stick to a 1200 calorie a day diet you are guaranteed to lose 2 to 3 lbs a week. SO in a month that equates to 8 to 12 lbs - almost a stone.

I think you will find as your weight diminishes so will your blood pressure. However I would not stop taking the blood pressure medication as u are putting  a lot of stress on yourself I would play it by ear according to the rate of weight loss and reduction of blood pressure. Please discuss with your dr as well. Take care.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.