scared to swallow

Posted , 3 users are following.

I have not been diagnosed with globus yet. I have had 2 barium test done in the past and they both showed nothing. I am going to see a general surgeon to have a endoscope done. I am scared to death and this is making the swalloing worse. I hope after I have the test done and he dosen't find anything or if they do and hopefully nothing bad I will get over it. I have a feeling I will always have this problem. I have it bad sometimes. I get so scared I don't eat and I will lose weight. I got down to 97 lbs recently and that scared me. I have gained 5 of it back so far. I only eat certain things that I know won't get stuck and if it does I won't eat for a while. Thanks for letting me talk about this. Maybe this will help me understand what it going on. Have any of you had the endosope test done? I told them they had to knock me out or I wouldn't do it.

Thanks

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi --

As you realise stress and worry is making your symptoms worse--

But KNOW it's no good saying \"don't worry\" !! smile

Like you I had tests that came back negative and so thought my symptoms

would disappear. But they didn't .. so paid for the \"pleasure\" of having a tube

up my nose and down my throat. :roll: Still nothing.

So am \"learning to live with it\". Am wondering if I have a hiatus hernia which is giving me gastric reflux -which then stresses me which then makes the

lump in my throat feel worse, A VICIOUS CIRCLE.

An endoscopy is the best way to diagnose this. Like you am far from happy at the thought but small price to pay for peace of mind.

By the way I am a nurse and see many patients waiting for this procedure and most say it was nowhere as bad as anticipated !! Just insist on good sedation. (My elderly mother-in-law had it done with just the spray at back of throat and said it was OK !! Tough old bird !! :wink:

Will be interest to hear how you get on --- RELAX :D

• Posted

Hi Guys

I am not sure but i think i am suffering something as similar as yours, i feel something has stuck in my throat and it is hurting me so much, this happened about 6 weeks ago and have lost about 14 kilo grams of weight.

Every time i eat, i feel i am ging to choak and this horrible thing in my throat gets worse, pain and burning sensation and discomfort. last week they did a endoscopy ans also a ct scan but it didnt show anything but i am still suffering from thi horrible thing and scared to death of eating just in case i am going to choak and die. please let me know if you suffer similarcondition

• Posted

It's all in your mind. You've created something for yourself and you can just as easily get rid of it. Don't be affraid of it. Indifference and apathy will kill it's power over you. Worrying and tests after tests will only feed the monster. Go lawn bowling. Take in a film. Get your mind somewhere else as often as possible, but don't say to yourself you must do this or that. This gives it power also and puts you in a stressful situation where you guage your actions as success or failure, thus causing the beast to reappear. It's a catch 22.

I've lived with panic disorder and anxiety attacks for 6 years now. It's part of my life. I've accepted it with open arms. i welcome it. all of it. In the begining I feared it and it all got worse and worse. The first reaction is usually why me? especially when you find out that GH like panic disorder and anxiety attacks will come and go most of your life. Then I put it all in perspective. I have a good life. I have food, water, a warm place to sleep and a great life. Things could be a lot worse because none of this, including GH is life threatening. None of it! The sooner I accepted it as part of my life, the faster I was on my way to making it powerless over me. Granted in early extreme times I was on Prozac and Xanax, but I accepted those too and knew that they are a huge help in recovering. If you have GH and you are having trouble eating, because it has that kind of grip on your life, you definately should consider prozac or a mood stabilzer plus xanax. You'll get your appetite back within a few weeks and they will help you. I promise. I've been there off and on for 6 years. Good luck, know you're not alone. Slow down when things get stressful. Take time to recognize all the great things in your life. then get busy enjoying them again.

• Posted

I suffered from this after the birth of my first child and went to the doctor thinking I was getting the flu or had throat cancer. I had this condition for eight years usually feeling the lump in my throat as soon as I woke up. I also had PND so was put on ant-depressants, this made me feel happier but I still felt anxious and had the lump in my throat, My doctor then put me on Serequel a very strong psychotic drug whic made me very drowsy but did get rid of the lump for most of the time. After 8 years I decided to get off this medication so I went to a different chinese GP who used accupunture. It took about 8 sessions but was not too expensive as you receive some back from medicare. I wish I had gone to him a lot earlier and then I would not have suffered for so long. I occsionally get it now before my period and then go back and have another few sessions of accupuncture, I swear by this treatment and if the lump is driving you insane go and get treatment. It may not work straight away but keep perserving, you do not have to put up with this annoying condition. I have not used Serequel for 2 years now [[/code]
  • Posted

Well I had an endoscope done friday and what they found was scary. I had a srtitcture smaller than a straw in the upper esophagus and anothe in the lower esophagus. He took biopsy of both I pray he dosen't find anything. My throat is so sore I can hardly stand to swallow. He said he got it to about the size of a nickel it needs to be the size of a fiftycent piece. He also put me on prevacid for now. I don't know If i will be able to eat becaus I still have the same feeling when I swallow. Have any ove you had this proceudre done and what was you experince. THanks for listening

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.