Scared to take Citalopram

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had the Citalopram box in my bedroom for weeks but decided i wasn't ready. My anxiety is still there with moderate depression which all began in August 2016. I'm scared to start because I'm worried I'll feel worse on the drug than I do already, worried about weight gain and feeling like a zombie. I was prescribed 10mg of Citalopram mainly for anxiety but I also have issues with depression, which has now grown. Since having these issues my diet has been poor, I've become inactive, miserable and have gained weight - before I was obsessed with being healthy and active. So I'm curious if I should alter my diet (e.g. cut out sugar) to see if that changes anything - but I had these issues even when I was healthy and active, so I don't know if it's the answer. Should I just start taking Citalopram already??

I'd also like to know others experience on Citalopram. 

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Changing diet is not going to suddenly make you less anxious or depressed, that's a bit of a myth. Citalopram for me was disasterous, it made me 100 times worse and I'll never touch it or any other med again. Some people get on ok with it I'm sure, I prefer therapy to medication.

• Posted

Hi honestavocado - the reports on Citalopram differ - some gain weight, some lose weight although it's reported that its usually through nausea. The only way to know is to take the dive into it and moniter things over the next few months. And yes, cutting out sugar and processed foods will have a positive effect on your weight. We are what we eat. Also, be wary of products claiming to be 'fat free' - they are often loaded with sugar to make them palatable. Your weight loss will require a diet regimen and discipline - a difficult ask for someone with depression issues. The important thing is to introduce your diet and exercise gradually. Diving in all at once is the recipe for failure. Soon, your new diet/exercise regime will become a habit to replace the one you have now. It's a journey, it won't heppen overnight. Try not to be despondent and resigned when results are slow to come. They will happen if you make the effort. Best of luck to you - remember you are not alone with either depression or weight issues, many people struggle with these conditions today. Go for it.

• Posted

I forgot to add that gaining control over the weight will help with your self esteem which will in turn help the impact of depression. 
    • Posted

Why are you making an assumption that the OP has a problem with their weight? That's not been stated, quite the opposite

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.