scared to take the flu

Posted , 2 users are following.

hello

i am new to the forum and i was prescribed fluoxetine last week. I am really nervous about taking them. I have been reading some of the side effects and i just worry.

I have always suffered from some sort of depression ever since i was a teenager. I used to think how i felt was normal until about 2 months ago when i opened to my friend about how I feel and what i was thinking and why they don't see me for 2 -3 months sometimes, they made me realise that i needed help.

thanks

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

hi tango,

firstly welcome to the forum and well done for feeling able to take that first step and talk to someone. i too have only recently started taking flu im on day 21 and i was also very worried about the side effects but the desire to get better was greater than the worry so i took the first few and felt nothing.

the side effects kicked in after about a week, the severity of the side effects is different for everyone but my doctor had already explained what to expect and approximately how long it could last, so i continued taking the pills and feel so much better, im not cured and i did end up making a few tearful phonecalls to my doctor to try and get an appointment but she was on holiday and i didnt want to see anyone else.

so i waited another week and most of the side effects had gone. :D

im not saying it will be easy for you but persevere and be hopeful about seeing the light at the end of the tunnel

and remember if things get too much you can always go back to your doctor/counseller/psychiartrist (never could spell that word) and ask to be put on something else that suits you.

• Posted

Hi Tango (and miss Azzi)

I totally agree with what miss Azzi says. I didn't look at the side effects list until i was on about week 6 (thankfully). It's quite a daunting list but it covers every eventuality and doesn't mean you'll get all of them. As miss Azzi says, everyone reacts differently so i hope you don't get many of them.

I'm on month 11 and glad that i started taking flu. The first 6-8 weeks are the hardest but stick with it and it will be worth it.

Best wishes.

• Posted

hello guys

thank you very much for your responses.

You both are right. Even though i am having a good last couple of days i need to remind myself how down i can get and wanting to find a solution..

its good to know that there is someone i can talk to smile

thank you very much again

• Posted

you can always talk to us wether you need advice or just to rant and rave about how you are feeling. since deciding to get help for my depression this forum has been an absolute godsend even just reading what other people are going through helps me realise that none of us are alone

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.