Scarf + Akin Osteotomy - not a horror story!

Posted , 9 users are following.

In case this is of interest to anybody who's formed the opinion that bunion surgery inevitably leads to great pain and suffering, I had a bunion which was giving me grief, especially in cold weather. GP referred me to consultant, who in view of the fact I'm 66, advised Scarf + Akin with lateral release sooner rather than later.

After an 8-week wait, I turned up at the hospital at 8.30am last Wednesday. I was in theatre at 9.30am, and home with a bandaged foot and crutches just 4 hours later!

The foot was uncomfortable the first night, but perfectly manageable on a diet of paracetamol alternating with ibuprofen - mainly a dull ache from the bones and soreness from the wound area. During the next 48 hours it gave me some grief, mainly very sharp twinges every now and then, but they'd settled down by Saturday afternoon and the swelling had done the same so I ditched the painkillers.

So for what it's worth, the recovery story from here amounts to maybe 72 hours of a foot giving me grief off and on after a total of 5 hours in hospital. I'm now at 7 days post-op, bored out of my mind, but good at moving about the place and getting up and down stairs on my crutches!

I've learned two things that I didn't discover when I was Googling recovery from bunion surgery which may be of use to others. One is that the best way to keep your foot elevated while you're asleep is definitely to put something under the foot of the mattress to raise it (in my case, a rolled-up rug did the trick).

And the other is that if you're a bloke who's of an age to wake up in the night for a pee, sitting on the side of the bed and using a laundry liquid bottle sure as hell beats putting your magic shoe on and hobbling off to the loo. The only downside is that it tends to result in your other half waking up and needing a pee too ...

1 like, 18 replies

18 Replies

Prev
  • Posted

I am due to have the same op in January Sid and came across your post. Had me in stitches (not literally) but your descriiption of getting up in the night for a pee made me laugh so much. Sadly us ladies can't do the same so I will have to struggle down the stairs to the lav.Hope I have a good outcome like you

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.