Scarf/Atkin Osteotomy

Posted , 7 users are following.

Has anyone had a Scarf/Atkin Osteotomy (Hallux Valgus operation)? I'm post-op as from 24 June and wearing a surgical boot 24/7 (Stays on continuously) for six weeks. In that time I can't put weight-bearing on my foot. Can you please tell me how you felt once the boot was removed? Could you walk properly without pain?

0 likes, 31 replies

31 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I am day. 6 after a double bunion operation - is that what you call scarf/Atkins osteotomy? Anyway I also wear surgical boots/sandals but only wear them when I am walking. I haven't had bandages off yet but can feel that under them all the big toe is sitting in. Mini plaster?! It will be interesting when I go to have the stitches out in 8 more days to find out what is beneath the mound of bandages. I have been told I will then have a mini cast on, does anyone else know what is likely to happen? I am in Cumbria UK. 
    • Posted

Hi Jinny, a double bunion operation is called a bilateral bunionectomy. I had a bunionectomy on my left foot 8 years ago which caused nerve damage and deformity to my foot. You don't need to sleep in your boot but best keeping it on at all times before bedtime because it keeps your foot intact. Have you got a gel spacer between your large toe and the one next to it? Its best you wear it.
    • Posted

Jinny bunionectomy is different from Skarf/Akin Osteotomy.
    • Posted

Good morning Jinny! Are set in your daily position with a hour by hour plan? This is my first day to be left alone until 8pm tonight. It was difficult to even carry a cup of tea into my little den although my lovely husband has left my lunch & snacks all prepared.  Perhaps life is mot so bad after all. I may get use to this. It sounds like everybody has different experiences & doctors advice. My doctor didn't say much the physio just gave me surgical shoes with no instruction on how often & for how long I should wear them. I was only kept in for a few hours after OP.  I'm just making it up as I go along but all seems ok so far. I hoping to receive more info on the 23rd July. 
    • Posted

Lunch time now, glad to hear that your kind husband has left all your food out for you. A friend of mine said that she made her hot drinks in one of those plastic flask drinking mugs with a lid and then carried it to her station in a plastic bag over her crutch or shoulder?! I haven't tried it yet as I still have my kind husband around tending to my every need! However he is off to London for 4 days from Wed so then there will be fun and games! He is off to the supermarket today to get ready meals which I can pop in the microwave! No I didn't get much advice on leaving hosp in fact I have discovered more from people on this site!  Have you already got your 2 wk appointment for stitches out etc? Did that come automatically or did you have to ring for it?  Anti-clotting jab time.....aaahhhh! My husband does this cos I am such a wimp! I am getting the district nurse in when he is in London! Do you do your own? X
    • Posted

Yes Iv been watching the clock till lunchtime - I feel hungry all the time (think it's just boredom but need to careful of weight gain) just ate it watching Gino & Mel.  Most of my information is from this site. I was given my out patient appointment before I left the hospital, I was so drowsy after the op, Im not sure what I was told so hoping for more info next week. Why are you having anti clotting jabs? Iv had no jabs - I mustn't be at risk from clots, no nurses have seen me - not sure if my GP knows Iv had this OP done. I'm sure you will be fine whilst your husband is away  - do you have people to call in? I am managing to walk with just the shoes & no crutches. I don't live near family & friends so do feel a little isolated but feel like I have to make myself independent as well as nit over doing things. Enjoy your day x
    • Posted

Hi, isn't it strange how different Drs/hosp/areas/ etc are? Where are you?

I was given anti-clotting injections in the stomach in hosp and they said all foot operation patients had to have them for 2 wks after op as we are less active than other post ops and are therefore more prone to blood clots! So I was sent home with a big pkt of syringes! I only had the district nurse around as she had to show my husband how to give the injections and that was organised by the West Cumberland hosp [where I had the op...1:20hr from where we live!] I await my appointment for stitches out etc!  Enjoy your lazy day! x

• Posted

Yes it is strange Iv not heard of anyone else that has had blood thinners I'm 51, it might be that you are younger? The contraceptive pill can be a risk & Im no longer on it. I didn't have a surgical stocking either. It sounds like you've had good care & blood thinners won't harm so don't be worried. I had my Op at a private hospital in West Yorkshire. If you don't get you appointment for check up perhaps you need to ring them but you still have time to receive one in the post. This afternoon is hard, I just get settled then need a drink, loo or something else - I didn't realise how I have depended on my husband the last few days - Iv not moved too much but my feet are aching now - happy lazy days x
    • Posted

No, I'm not younger, if fact I'm 65 - yeek! (But VERY young at heart!) so don't think age is a factor in the anti-clotting, just different regions do things differently I guess. I'm fed up with these aching feet! At this time in the afternoon they are really bad and I resort to ibuprofen! I have been good too and spent most of the day with my feet up! Still, it's only day 6, it can only get better! Your husband will be home soon to spoil you! X
    • Posted

Good girl keeping your feet up "young at heart" Your right they do ache as the day goes on I'm sat here needing more painkillers but need to get up for water - it's too big of a job!! Haha! Can't wait for my servant to get home x
    • Posted

How was your night? I was crying out for painkillers by 4:30! With thoughts of 'why did I decide to do this?!  My limbo bags arrived in the post today, yippee a shower! But how do you stand in the shower when you are meant to be on your heels only? Any bright ideas from anyone? X Jinny
    • Posted

Ohh poor you jinny! Pain in the night not nice. I managed a good sleep but my crutch fell on my left foot this morning - not pleasant but at least I can laugh about it. Just done the lunch task. It's surprising how nothing stops me from eating I thought I would not be able to eat much. & lose a few pounds. Iv not had a shower yet (it's good that you are on the other end of an iPad & not in the same room as me) Iv just been washing in the old fashioned way. I can't image how you will be able to stand on your heels in the shower but hopefully you'll get some advice in here. I'm having a reading day today. The door bell rang before - by the time I put my shoes on & shuffle to the door the delivery man had nearly  given up but Iv managed to take a parcel in for a neighbour - this could be another daily task. Enjoy your shower & afternoon x
    • Posted

I made it! Oh bliss!  My husband refused my idea of standing on my heels in the shower! After I'd thrown a paddy he ventured up into the loft and reappeared with a small stool........ Which I'd said "get rid" to sometime ago .... and with the limbo bags on my lower legs, managed a lovely shower! They gave me large scale body wipes ( called bed baths) in hospital but there was only 6 in the pack!  I wouldn't recommend having a shower on your heels, even with a stool, if you are in the house on your own, you have to be careful getting in and out! That's my activity for the day! Now listening to Steve Wrights oldies, good for a change! Happy Reading!
    • Posted

Oh, I didn't try that as I had gone for a small limbo and it was quite a good fit just over the pile of bandages wound around my feet!

Does anyone else have a bit of plaster cast under their big toes? I seem to but can't really see what is going on under all the bandages! However the plaster cast was rubbing on my next toe so have managed to poke a bit of cotton wool down which has done the trick!

Gosh, who thought I would be having these conversations!?!  The complications of foot surgery, and we're not at the end yet!,,, x Jinny

• Posted

Sounds bliss being nice & clean listening to Steve Wrights oldies. Iv become quiet adjusted to being feral - good for the soul & Ill really benefit when I can shower/bath haha!! X
    • Posted

I had a plaster which went around my foot like a u shape so it was underneath and on top but the bunion side was left exposed .  Nurse used to slide it off to clean foot then re bandage it on again.  Wore it for the six weeks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.