Scarf/Atkins op

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi,

I had my op 3 weeks ago tomorrow and had the big bandage off last Wed such a relief,!  The wounds healing well but looks horrible I’m walking around in a Darco boot which I bought from Amazon it’s designed so the toe doesn’t touch the floor, it’s good but heavy I dare not walk without it.

i,m also getting frustrated and didn’t fully realise I’d be so immobile I’m a hairdresser so not planning on go back to work until mid February 2018

its good to hear about other people’s experiences.

0 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Hi Adrienne

Oct. 6 I had my surgery, as you did not realize I would be immobile for 8 weeks and in lots of pain.  My doctor left me in the shoe, because it was not heavy.  After the bandage was removed I ordered the kneel scooter which I recommend.  I was able to get around and go out.  I could not drive until or around my 6 week.  But lucky to have someone drive me. After the 5 the week things got easier.  My toe is stiff, I do go to PT.  I work out 3 days a week. Toe is heal, would not recommend this surgery to

anyone.  I am not having left foot done, looked and found excercises to do for foot.  I hope that helped.

Iam 61 years young, I thought it was age but from what I been following age plays no roll...lol

• Posted

Hello laddies, I am 3 weeks post op.  Today is first day my foot doesn’t immediately deal like it’s going to explode when below my heart for more than 5 minutes!   Bandages still being changed each week for another 3 weeks, has me in a walking boot.  Had right foot only done, mid-foot fusion, 1 plate and seven screws.  Heel only weight til week 6.  My left foot is pretty bad too but like you there is no way I’m doing this again.  It’s way more painful than I expected.  I thought I was mentally prepared for it. Not.    Still taking at least one Oxycodone a day, st night to sleep.  Time will heal us. You just gotta get threw it.  
    • Posted

HI martin,

It gets better, I hear you not getting my left foot done. Iam out of boot, walking and driving. I just started PT, and doing the foot workout it helps. The big toe is still stiff, others no more pain. It will get better. Good luck

• Posted

Carol, how long ago?

We can only hope to walk and not look back at this.

6 weeks post op fusion plate and 5 screws.

• Posted

I am 6 weeks post op and still rest and elevate my foot.

I agree the pain is bad especially in the beginning even the pain killers didn't do much. Ice and elevate, and lots of tv to distract.

Anyone notice discoloration in the surgical foot. I didn't notice till I saw a big difference in my good foot and surgical foot...wow. redish slightly blue....kinda weird as the swelling is minimal.

Anyway hang in there and really elevate those feet.

I agree the knee scooter was very helpful. I bought mine online 2nd hand.

Good luck!

• Posted

Hi,

Oct.6, went thru pain, used pain mess, ice elevation,off feet.  Dec. 21 stared PT.

toe is still tight and stiff much better no pain.  My problem is the foot looks worse then before..  I was told swelling which is minor now can take or last up to a year.

iam working out 3 days a week. Just started again.  

During the time off feet I read a lot.  Lots of water and watching salt intake is very helpful.  Lots of walking is good.  As you mention it gets better.  Good luck!

• Posted

How long did you have to sleep on your back with foot elevated?  Sleeping for me is difficult.  I’m going to try no pain medicine tonight and take acetaminophen pm instead.  I’m 22 days post op.  Only take one or two acetaminophen 500mg throughout the day at work.  Work at a desk with foot up most of the day.  Long days a tell ya.   I walk with crutches putting “heel wait only “ on foot.  I also have a knee wheelie.  I drive with my left foot. I sit at an angle on the seat.   It’s awkward but it’s not too bad.  The snowy icy parking lots and stuff are scary.    It’s great to hear everyone’s experiences.  This site has helped me.  And oh yes my leg from the knee down gets red and toes nearly purple when I’m on knee wheelie or crutches.   
    • Posted

Hi,

I could say for myself sleeping on back until 1 week ago and until now I keep foot uncover. I had surgery Oct. 6. The knee scooter, helps but it does mess with the knee...good luck all

• Posted

Great to hear everyone’s experiences, has anyone else got the Darco shoe ?

im completely out of pain and sleep well with foot elevated, noticed yesterday my skin on foot was very dry under bandage so now rubbing moisturiser in morning and night, going back to see nurse tomorrow ( high light of the week )

keep in touch everyone

Adrienne x

• Posted

Hi

For dryness lots of cream and at night petroleum jelly, and socks. It does help using cream I found it helped with the burning too.

• Posted

hi Carol, seeing nurse today and hopefully have all bandages off it’s 3 weeks since the op then I can start massaging cream into foot properly. I think the funny colour ( pink ) is the antiseptic stuff they put on before the op, did you have a pain block or general 
  • Posted

Today I got into my leather snow boot. It felt good! This is good for me after two months.
    • Posted

I used coconut oil blended with lavender essential oil, wrap w saran wrap and then sock...the plastic wrap keeps it on foot and less on sock.

Glad I am not the only one with weird foot color!

My hubby gave me an odd gift

..compression socks! 😂

But I will say it helps keep the swelling down and less throbbing when feet are down.

It did help!

• Posted

Hi Carol,  Wow I bet that felt good is your foot back to normal size now .? I can’t wait to get shoes on and escape from this house ! I’ve not been out for 6 days because of Christmas and snow un ice.
    • Posted

Iam going to try the Saran Wrap.  I looked at my feet last night and notice my right is darker   Then my left.  Iam going to ask the doctor about that after the new year.
    • Posted

it feels great!  Now I have a few question to ask the doctor one is about swelling, and second will be on coloration of foot.  It's much better very little swelling.

• Posted

I’m 3 1/2 weeks post op and still can see some stitches, practice nurse at local surgery wasn’t keen on removing them, they are supposed to be dissolvable has anyone had this problem ? Other than this the wounds looking good 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.