Scarf osteotomy recovery

Posted , 3 users are following.

i am on day 8 after op. How long does the blood rushing to the foot sensation go on for? Trying to keep foot up as much as possible for first couple of weeks. Also when I get stitches out next week I get on another big bandage and will still be wearing big wedge boot . Am I correct in saying that at 6 weeks I can try shoes, normal walking etc? I don't see the consultant till 9 weeks after op. Thanks in advance.

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Hi there

well done and getting so far I will answer your queries based on my own experience.

the blood rush lasts   for 2/3 weeks and does gradually get better.  If you have  asoft dressing it generally improves once that is removed. cannot say how long it lasts ifyou are in a hard cast.  However elelevate elevate elevate (above groin level for first tw weeks for at least 45 mins in every hr.  If you have been given hard bootto wear use it as advised some say all the time even when sleeping others say ony when walking. Check with your surgeon if you are unusre and remember that every procedure is differenct so you should always follow the advice given for your particular procedure.  If in doubt phone the hospital and ask tospeak to your surgeon.

Regarding transfer to normal shoes this again depends on what you have done but most seem to come out of shoe at  weeks but again check with your own surgeon.

Physio is also different for different procedures with some you can start wiggling toes very early on others it is not ill 4- 6 weeks, very important you know what your surgeon wants you to do as you dont want to jeapordise the good work.

Do you hve any pins to remove? this is normally done at 6 weeks.

weight bearing is different for every procedure with most doing heel walking in boot for first couple of weeks but some procedures require no weight bearing make sure you check on this.

i hope this helps. good luck with your recovery

• Posted

Thanks for that Sheila. It's so helpful to speak to other people going through the same thing. I'm now on day 12 and the blood rushing sensation is improving. I have a pin in which will be staying in. All my surgeon said was to wear boot and he would see me in 6 weeks, but I've had an appointment in for 9 weeks. Going by what I've read here I should be back in shoes by that time - as you say trainers or uggs. That's all I've been wearing for years anyway!
  • Posted

sorry for typos.. i meant to say normal shoes at 6 weeks - this does vary though.
  • Posted

It's very early days yet hun. I had mine 7 weeks ago and I was experiencing wird shocking senstations up to week 6. I had to wear my boot on for 6 weeks then went into  a normal  shoe but to be honest trainers are the best option at this stage or an Ugg style boot, It's weird wearing a shoe and my foot feels almost normal now, no pain at all just swelling when I drive or am on my feed too long. Your foot will tell you when you have had enough so it is important to listen to it. Good Luck with your healing x
  • Posted

Wanted to add, it's important to wear your shoe everywhere, from the moment you arise to the moment you go to bed, even if it's just to go to the toilet you should put it on. Obvisouly take it off when your foot is elevated as suggested by Sheila. I was allowed to wear slippers around the house at week 4 but still had to wear the shoe if I went out. Everyones process is different but after reading this forum I have found most of us are encountering the same syptoms so advice from members is sound advice in my opinion. It's important to not rush the process, as frustrating as it is and there will be days when you feel very alone but there really is light at the end of the tunnel, trust me. I am notching up every milestone in my healing process. At 7 weeks post op I feel so much better than I did at 6 so I know that at 14 weeks I should be like a new person again smile
    • Posted

Thanks for that. I am wearing the boot any time I don't have my foot elevated . Scared to try heel walking without  the boot in case I do some damage . I'm in very little pain now but having difficulty sleeping. Think it's because I'm just not tired. I was reasonably active at work before and now I'm doing absolutely nothing! Also scared I bash my foot in the night so not able to lie in my normal sleeping position
    • Posted

I like to lay on my back at night, despite my husbands dismay as I snore like a bear lol. I slept with two pillows elevating my foot for 6 weeks after surgery. I had my sticthes out after 10 days and they rebandaged my foot. I had to get it redressed every week as it would be in such a mess. When I went to see my consultant he asked why I was still wearing the bandage and I told him the nurse said I had to wear it till my 4 week appointment. He was not happy he said it could of come off sooner. When he removed it withing a day or two I noticed a huge improvement in the bloodflow to my foot. It does get better in time, I promise x
    • Posted

I slept on air bed first 2 weeks so stayed on my back when sleeping as didn't want to bash foot - had lots of bleeding first few days

also foot propped up

airbed keeps u in middle so u don't roll over

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.